What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amorphophallus "Konjac"

tommyr

Gardening freak!
One of my bigger one's waking up. 9" tall so far:

Somewhat surprised yours is awakening already. Mine won't stir for a couple months yet at least.

Somewhat surprised yours is awakening already. Mine won't stir for a couple months yet at least.

Actually she's a little late this year, it's been a cold winter and the room where I keep them runs around 62-65F.

I've been wanting to get Konjac. They don't look to be too terribly difficult to grow and where I am it may not even be necessary to dug up each winter. Stinky flower plants have always fascinated me.

eBay has lots of them. FYI. Here she is a few days ago stinking out my house!

I cannot believe--in all the world--that you would keep something like that within closed doors. Where you live!!!!

Funny story--we have some at work and dared a coworker to kiss one for five bucks one day. The stink molecules are oil-based, so they soak into the skin and don't wash off. It was a great day. Well worth $5.

I've been growing them for about 6 years now so I'm kind of used to the smell. LOL!

I've been growing them for about 6 years now so I'm kind of used to the smell. LOL!
I can't imagine my threshold shifting that much, however temporarily!

Would you like some Stapelia gigantea to go with your Amorphophallus?! :-O

I think having these around me is MORE than enough thanks!

Amazing! Great job!

Thanks. They are easy to grow actually. AND if they are pushing up a flower spike they do NOT need to be in soil. You can plant them after flowering. It's a real conversation piece.

Actually not a plant I would bother hitting eBay for. Just wait until autumn and keep your eyes open on the forum. I've given a number of corms away over the last couple years as they tend to pup prolifically. There is someone else I have seen, too, that typically has them for trade here in the fall.

And, no, in your climate you should be able to leave them in the ground yearround.

oooo i love Stapelia gigantea it looks like a thick fleshy starfish growing on a cactus!

So how does one grow something like Amorphophallus "Konjac"? Any good care sheets?

And after seeing this thread (right after my first post), I was inspired! And maybe I got ahead of myself . . . so I would like to ask . . . are these good ebay deals?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231198841685?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231198844734?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649
I'm not saying that I already bid on them . . . but I'm not saying I didn't either . . . ;)

Last edited:
So how does one grow something like Amorphophallus "Konjac"? Any good care sheets?

And after seeing this thread (right after my first post), I was inspired! And maybe I got ahead of myself . . . so I would like to ask . . . are these good ebay deals?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231198841685?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231198844734?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649
I'm not saying that I already bid on them . . . but I'm not saying I didn't either . . . ;)

Look for one that's at least bassball sized. The small ones are good but they have to get about softball size to bloom.

Use a good potting mix and add about an equal amount of Perlite. Plant the corm about 5" deep and water. These are NOT cold hardy. In the fall the leaf stalk will flop over. Cut it off at soil level, dig out the corm and dry in a area protected from rain. Pull the dried roots off and clean off the corm and bring inside for the winter, In late winter, early spring it will begin to grow again.

Thanks for the growing tips. :D

I was hoping to need them but I didn't win any of those ebay listings. :(
I may try for another though, maybe a lil bigger than those in the listings.

How is your giant flower doing? How long do they stay in bloom?

Last edited:
Thanks for the growing tips. :D

I was hoping to need them but I didn't win any of those ebay listings. :(
I may try for another though, maybe a lil bigger than those in the listings.

How is your giant flower doing? How long do they stay in bloom?

I cut mine off early. They last normally a few weeks but I want the corm to grow bigger so I lopped off the flower four days after opening.

I realized that Amophophallus konjac is the main ingredient in Lipozene, a weight loss product. Seems pointless to process the plant into a medicine to help lose weight when one good whiff completely kills my appetite!

Back