Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mimosa pudica and yellow flower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mimosa pudica and yellow flower

wondering if mimosa pudica or the other sensitive pant with yellow flowers NEED distilled water ,
    idk the name of the yellow flower sensitive plant but looks very similar to mimosa . I assume its either Partridge Pea or Neptunia plena(aquatic sensitive)
    guess I wont know till it flowers or the seller gets back to me

anyways do sensitive plants generally need distilled water or is it ok to water with tap, or maybe mix of 50/50 tap and distilled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use tap water. But its always better using 0ppm Water with all your plants, carnivorous or not.

Francois

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a few Mimosa making their way up above ground yesterday. They're coming!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    wondering if mimosa pudica or the other sensitive pant with yellow flowers NEED distilled water ,
    idk the name of the yellow flower sensitive plant but looks very similar to mimosa . I assume its either Partridge Pea or Neptunia plena(aquatic sensitive)
    guess I wont know till it flowers or the seller gets back to me

anyways do sensitive plants generally need distilled water or is it ok to water with tap, or maybe mix of 50/50 tap and distilled
    Water does not matter at all to this plant. In fact, it needs high rates of fertilizer to grow/flower. It needs lots of water too but is indifferent to the quality. It will readily wilt and make its needs obvious. I have grown individual Mimosa pudicas into 3-foot-diameter bushes. They're amazing plants and they grow like crazy as they get bigger.

The healthier the plant (i.e. more light and food), the better response from touching it. Also, the leaflets will open and close more times and won't stop working.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any known reason for why they close up? Are they quasi-carnivorous or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mimosa (or atleast the ones here) have thorns, so by closing the leaf up the thorns are more exposed, therefor dettering herbavores, unless they want a mouth of thorns.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelea View Post
    Mimosa (or atleast the ones here) have thorns, so by closing the leaf up the thorns are more exposed, therefor dettering herbavores, unless they want a mouth of thorns.
    Yep. They are short but very stout and curved. A real joy of the plant kingdom to prune when they're big.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And a pain in the butt when they're in the way of seeing your other plants, like my big ol' vine of one is right now.... nothing like getting a face full of Mimosa thorns when you're trying to move the pitcher plants around...
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast