Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First opportunity at a garden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First opportunity at a garden

Didn't know exactly where to post this or how much attention it will get on this forum but here it goes regardless. My girlfriend just moved into the first floor of her grandmothers house. Eventually I may move in with her but regardless of whether that happens or not there is an old dilapidated garden in the backyard as well as a decent amount of grassy area that gets a good amount of sunlight as far as I can tell, and I was given free reign to plant whatever I want, wherever I want. I'm going to test exactly how much sunlight it gets over the next couple weeks. The actual old garden area is very overgrown with weeds and who knows what else so I've got some work to do before I can plant anything.

We live in southern CT, zone 7a-6b, really directly on the line. Now I'm REALLY tempted to raise up a small section of the area and try out a small mini bog for some Sarracenia, and I might do so, but I don't really need as much guidance on that at the moment. I want to plant some veggies, tomatoes, cucumbers, and the like, and some herbs as well as just decorative type plants. Only problem, I've got no idea where to start really. I'm gonna get to my own research very soon, but I figured if anyone could recommend plants hardy to my zone it'd be a great headstart. Also weed removal/control tips would be great, as would tips on soil since I'm sure I'll need to do some work on that.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S. purpurea ssp. purpurea comes to mind, as do northern species of Drosera such as D. intermedia, D. rotundifolia, and D. x anglica.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    S. purpurea ssp. purpurea comes to mind, as do northern species of Drosera such as D. intermedia, D. rotundifolia, and D. x anglica.
    Thanks I've got some CP ideas in mind if I section off part for a bog, the Drosera suggestions are helpful though. However, I'm looking more for non-cp suggestions. I don't have much experience there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Step 1: kill weeds
    - organic: lay out clear plastic weighted with rocks, on hot days it should scorch the area.
    - easiest: roundup--wait at least 3 days before planting!!
    Step 2: Amend soil
    - Apply some cheap 10-10-10 fertilizer and some granulated lime
    - Grab some bags of potting soil and mix them into the top 6 inches of soil
    - Tilling with a tiller or hoe helps
    Step 3: Research stuff to plant and space it properly; get ahold of tomato cages or devise other supports for crops that need them
    Step 4: Fence it off to protect from deer if you have them
    Step 5: Mulch with pine straw, raked leaves from your yard, newspaper sheets, or bark
    Step 6: Set up irrigation, either with a sprinkler, hand watering, or soaker hoses
    Last edited by theplantman; 05-11-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    consider a high tunnel to extend the season. Make it possible to plant early and keep growing later. Maybe crusifer crops for the fall, cabbage, etc, chard seems to do well in cooler conditions.... Next year start the tomatoes indoors earlier. Eggplant might be possible bu dunno. it is a perennial crop here....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the plants you seem interested in are annuals anyway, so hardiness isn't much of an issue. You should concern yourself more with the time to harvest on different varieties of the veggies you're considering. Also as far as tomatoes and peppers go, no need to rush. Putting them in the ground before soil temps get into the 60s is a waste of time. Some herbs are perennial in your zone.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tomatoes can be overwintered easily enough. I don't have reason to try this but tomatoes will from roots from the whole stalk all the way down. So if you plant it really deeply it has a chance to survive frosts if covered. Onions and okra can also take a pretty dramatic freeze and will grow in nutrient poor soils. As will potatoes and other tubering veggies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we went at it today. Ripped up a ton of weeds and probably around 2-4" of soil depending on the area. Here's some pics below. Also a couple things I didn't mention before in response to some of your posts. I want to keep the garden organic. Also my main goal isn't just edible plants. I'm setting aside a small area, maybe 1/3 of the total space for edibles. The rest is for other plants. What other plants, I don't know, I honestly don't know enough plants to start making decisions, for now I'm just browsing pictures on some sites.

@kula: I don't think a high tunnel is an option but I'll try to keep it in mind.
    @Sub: I'm not focused on any types of plants really right now besides certain veggies. As for the other plants I have nothing in mind. I would like some of them to be perennial though

Picture time:

Here's most of the area we are gonna plant I think there's just one section of fence cut off on the left.

Everything up to the garage. There's some sort of bush, I don't know what, and I think a rose bush that we aren't gonna tear up.

What most of the ground looked like

All done:

Closer up at the ground:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast