Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning up the heat!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turning up the heat!

First peppers of the year. I've got 4 different kinds going this time: Jalapenoes, Habaneros, Dragon Cayenne, and Pimiento Picante. I may pick up an Ancho if they still have one at the store later this week.

The first three were purchased as seedlings (since I misplaced my Hab seeds from last year), and the Pimiento is growing from seed. It got a late start, so it's really stunted. Anyway, pics!

Jalapenos less than a week after the first flowers.
    1st Jalapenos by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Cayenne flowering: (There's two small peppers growing already, but I don't think you can see them in the photo
    Dragon Cayenne Flowering by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

I did notice last year that my Habaneros were a little on the mild side, so the peppers are in a new location where they'll receive much more sun and heat (I've heard ambient temp. plays a role in the heat of the peppers, dunno if that's true or not).

More pics as the plants mature. The cayenne are going to be fabulous once all the peppers turn red. I might have to hold off picking them in exchange for photo ops. :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking good,i heard that you need to treat em mean ,low humidity,hot temps and not much water to get them at their hottest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    looking good,i heard that you need to treat em mean ,low humidity,hot temps and not much water to get them at their hottest
    Right, basically treat them as if they were in the Mexican brush somewhere. My problem in the past has been with over-watering them, but I think I kicked that habit this year. A good thing about peppers is that they are very vocal about their water needs. If you're the kind of person who looks in on their plants, however briefly, twice a day, peppers will tell you exactly when they need water, and perk back up about 45 minutes after you give it to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's the kinda plant i like,i should be getting some off a friend in a couple of weeks,hard to get good results in the UK without a greenhouse good luck with em Zath

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really an update...just extra pics taken earlier on the deck.

My peppers all laid out:
    Peppers minus 2 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Closeup of the most recent dog victim:
    Jalapeno chew-toy by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

And finally...the reason I have three less peppers than I wanted this year, and why last year's CP's were all destroyed and struggling:
    Plant Destroyer by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck... I gorw 2 different kinds of Scorpion peppers, including the famous Moruga.... CO heat (with days occasionally soaring over 100 F) and low humidity does wonders for extreme spice, and I can vouch on that from personal experience
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Good luck... I gorw 2 different kinds of Scorpion peppers, including the famous Moruga.... CO heat (with days occasionally soaring over 100 F) and low humidity does wonders for extreme spice, and I can vouch on that from personal experience
    I'm going to have to look those up for next year. As much as I like hot stuff, I purposely avoided any kind of ghost peppers, or anything hotter than Habs, really. I like my mouth to be on fire....not my gut, 3 hours later. :P

I can't do much about the humidity though. It's pretty high in the VA summer (around 65-80% daily), so I may not be able to get them at their hottest. I'll trade you my not-quite-famous Mango-Habanero salsa recipe for a few of those Scorpion pepper seeds. )

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My girlfriend and I just planted some "Peter Pepper" seeds.
    If you haven't seen photos of them, you need to look them up! They resemble a particular part of the male anatomy.

Anyway, Zath, your plants are looking good and your dog is adorable!
    Last edited by Acro; 06-11-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast