What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

passion vine cultivation info needed

I decided to expand and get one of these which according to the vendor will do well with my lowland nepenthes provided the pot is isolated since it will be fertilized. I received some basic cultivation info but have a few more questions to compare notes:

soil mixes?

soil ph?

fert mix?

lighting?

watering frequency?

does it self pollinate?

since it is a vine should I prune it down to 1 vine for optimal fruit production?

if I do cuttings....how many nodes for best propagation results?

hello, I assume you are growing Passiflora edulis or a hybrid of it, in which case I know they enjoy full sun (I've seen some go pretty much wild where I live, provided they get a good amount of water).. I read up a bit and it appears they enjoy loamy/sandy soils with a fairly neutral PH, apparently they like being fertilized somewhat frequently (I would imagine a well rounded fertilizer would do well, maybe something with a higher phosphorous level), they like being watered regularly, and they are self fertile (I don't think they self pollinate though, so you will probably have to hand pollinate the flowers if they aren't outside).. as for pruning, Im not really sure, but I don't think pruning it down to 1 vine would increase the fruit production. If you are going to eventually take cuttings, try and make it so there will be at least 2 leaf nodes under the soil line (or water line if you choose to root them in water).
I have never grown Passiflora myself, so this is mostly from the internet. hopefully another member will chime in that has first hand experience!
Good luck growing your passion vine!

i think it was Passiflora venusta....half of this matches my notes.....except the guy said half sun, water once a week and use top soil and perlite about 70/30 mix.....hmmmm. thanx for the info.

Back