User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now for something completely different....

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RSS-No, haven't; tried popping any of them yet, I'm waiting for all the ears to dry fully and then I'll pick my least favorite one to sacrifice.
    DragonsEye, I would bet under completely appropriate conditions they'd probably reach normal height, though mine only hit about 4 feet max, maybe 5. More water and a longer growing period and those "ugly" ears would have probably filled out and colored up better.
    Acro: plenty easy to grow, easy as any other corn. This is an Indian Corn variety, line-bred, so it has a natural resistance to pests and is relatively drought tolerant. It's just more colorful than most is all
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really cool. Hadn't seen that one before. Check out the varieties Bloody Butcher, Oaxacan Green Dent, and Blue Jade.

Lack of adequate pollination will also cause corn ears not to fill out. Do you see where the seeds failed to develop on the tips of some of those ears? That's generally the sign of underpollination, but as you mentioned corn is also heavily affected by environmental conditions.

Usually if you are growing <10 plants, they will have trouble with this. You can develop a workaround by crossing them by hand. Corn pollen releases in the morning as soon as the dew dries and the sun hits, so you'll want to grab it then. Otherwise, it scatters to the wind. Hope you have some fun with this next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NemJones View Post
    Haha thats cool man. Some of the more colorful ones look like jelly beans
    Yeah, It absolutely looks like Jelly Belly brand corn. That's really cool Hcarlton, thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12