Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Profitable plants?

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Having worked in the horticulture industry for many years and owning/managing a nursery, I can guarantee you there is no such thing as an agriculture crop that would "make money soon". Cousin would be better off using the space/time/energy growing some of the family's food than trying to create a quick cash crop, as Paul stated above.
    Surely this woman must have some marketable skill(s)? She'd be better off finding a way to engineer a way to sell a skill without leaving home. The Internet is rife with businesses that thrive without requiring the owner leave the house. You have to be creative.
    You wouldn't likely be able grow Saffron Crocus in Florida - it requires a cold dormancy - not to mention that investing in the corms would cost a small fortune (It takes 75,000 blossoms to produce a pound of dried saffron that wholesale for $70 per ounce, and you can expect to pay at least $.80 a corm.) and there would be no return on that investment for at least 6 months. (its a FALL blooming Crocus) #clueless
    Sorry, Im just trying to help.
    Last edited by NemJones; 12-03-2014 at 06:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I know some people who would go to plant sales, ie the SF Botanical Garden or UC Berkeley Botanical Garden, and grab the whole table of Passiflora membranacea or Cornus florida sps urbiniana (Magic Dogwood), then resell them on ebay for hundreds of dollars (original prices are $15 and $25) to collectors. It's a very questionable tactic though.
    Last edited by Fatbunny; 12-07-2014 at 11:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Having worked in the horticulture industry for many years and owning/managing a nursery, I can guarantee you there is no such thing as an agriculture crop that would "make money soon". Cousin would be better off using the space/time/energy growing some of the family's food than trying to create a quick cash crop, as Paul stated above.
    Surely this woman must have some marketable skill(s)? She'd be better off finding a way to engineer a way to sell a skill without leaving home. The Internet is rife with businesses that thrive without requiring the owner leave the house. You have to be creative.
    You wouldn't likely be able grow Saffron Crocus in Florida - it requires a cold dormancy - not to mention that investing in the corms would cost a small fortune (It takes 75,000 blossoms to produce a pound of dried saffron that wholesale for $70 per ounce, and you can expect to pay at least $.80 a corm.) and there would be no return on that investment for at least 6 months. (its a FALL blooming Crocus) #clueless
    Its really disgusting the way you talk to people sometimes. Did you really have to call someone clueless? I swear, I can't believe noone says anything to you for how you treat other members. You can come off as such a butthole sometimes and I know youre smart enough to know what youre doing too so don't feign ignorance either. Talk to people like you want to be talked to dang.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya i agree with most people that your friend might as well grow their own food. do we have any farmers here?
    Last edited by ps3isawesome; 12-10-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12