Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Liverworts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. .. looks like I will start growing these as well...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liverworts are very neat plants indeed. Their fruiting bodies can be so bizarre!

There are a lot of liverworts that grow in my area. I know I had some more impressive pictures than this, but oh well.

LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling that if I saw those in real life, I would run away, screaming "ALIENS!!!!" at the top of my lungs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was out hiking today and was reminded of this thread when I encountered this today.

This picture doesn't really do it justice or adequately describe whats going on here. There is a small creek that runs continually beneath this patch of liverworts. When it rains very heavily the creek apparently runs both beneath the earth and then overflows into this liverwort covered layer of substrate that is made up almost entirely of fine grains of creek sand and chunks of quartz. I guess when it rains only normally(?) this area is totally "dry" and the watercourse continues only beneath it. It has been raining somewhat consistently these last few weeks/months; so it would seem that this secondary watercourse only comes into being during the most intense periods of precipitation, which for around here means something like 3+ inches of rain per day in succession.

LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great habitat shot,.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Was out hiking today and was reminded of this thread when I encountered this today.

This picture doesn't really do it justice or adequately describe whats going on here. There is a small creek that runs continually beneath this patch of liverworts. When it rains very heavily the creek apparently runs both beneath the earth and then overflows into this liverwort covered layer of substrate that is made up almost entirely of fine grains of creek sand and chunks of quartz. I guess when it rains only normally(?) this area is totally "dry" and the watercourse continues only beneath it. It has been raining somewhat consistently these last few weeks/months; so it would seem that this secondary watercourse only comes into being during the most intense periods of precipitation, which for around here means something like 3+ inches of rain per day in succession.

That's amazing. I have never seen as pure a colony of them anywhere!! It looks so primeval--you have to think that 400 million years ago, that's how most plant life on Earth looked. Just an endless half-inch green blanket on soil.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not necessarily on soil as it's these plants that the soil was made from.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you guys enjoyed it. I have never seen anything like it. But the liverwort coverage of the banks of thiss creek is continuous and extensive. It's just this one area that surpassed normality.

I do love looking at liverworts and mosses really closely and when you get down on their level you can see what the world looked like billions of years ago. I can imagine being a massive crustacean crawling around in there.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast