User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Begonia bogneri: terrarium plant, miniature, epiphyte, grows in sphagnum

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This photo is kind of crummy, but the one I have left is #2, seen (coincidentally) from almost exactly the same angle. I was only able to convince myself it's the same by looking at the same features on the soil (there are many that can be matched up.). So this should be close to one month's growth. The long skinny things are new leaves which will soon become full-sized. Growth is rapid once those appear. This plant was started in September, I think.

Swords, if your plant doesn't make it, let me know. I have plenty, and I'm propagating more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Randy, perhaps mine is in too bright of light, the leaves are very very pale, yellow almost really.

If they get some longer leaves I will try and re-propagate and try a planting on some peaty mix similar to yours.
    Last edited by swords; 02-11-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was finally motivated to deal with some more of my propagation attempts. From cuttings I started in September, I finally gave individual pots to 19 plants. These were the tail end of my big propagation that started with 100 cuttings, and were those cuttings that initially had roots, but not new plantlets. Basically, the leftovers. All of these were together in a single 3 inch square pot before I split them up.

And these I had started two months ago, as cuttings in sphagnum. All had roots, and most had some sign of leaves, although often tiny:

Between the two containers there were about 32 cuttings. I think I started with about 40. I split them, 10 on left with the biggest plantlets, and about 22 more with roots and smaller or no plantlets visible. I bet all turn in to plants.

Randy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! Do you have humidity domes over all these trays?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, don't need much material to start out with, eh ? I might have to bug you for a trade on one of these at some point. I used to grow it in some of my frog tanks. Someone gave me a tiny plant that I stuffed into a crevice in some wood with a little sphagnum. I had no idea it was even a Begonia until it flowered. Very cool plant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords, I do have a humidity dome over the pots, and over everything else. For the 3 inch pots, I normally put an inverted 10 oz. cup over the top, taped down. The fit is perfect. However, I ran out of 10 oz. cups, and I didn't want to put off the repotting any longer.

Cthulhu138/Johnny, let me know--I have tons. including the 19 that just got their own 3 inch pots, I have about 41 of those... Actually I'll message you now--I'll explain why.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking for someone who is going to the American Begonia Society meeting near Boston, end of July, beginning of August, who might be interested in a few Begonia bogneri plantlets. I have heard that sometimes they have them at those meetings, sometimes not, and my impression is that they are in high demand. I'd be happy to send 20 or so little plantlets to someone in 2-3 months. At that stage they should be ready for individual pots, and they should be blooming size, or even blooming by the time of the meeting.

I don't know what the rules are for individuals bringing plants into such meetings, but I assume that considerable trading (and selling) goes on at some point. I wouldn't care what the recipient of the plant does with them (give away, trade, sell), as long as they are made available. In return, I would ask for an interesting plant from the meeting (from any source).

Small plantlets would be easy to ship in 2-3 months. However, once given individual pots, 20 or so plants would be bulky. So this probably makes the most sense for someone who lives near the meeting, or plans to drive there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a few people that will be attending.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast