What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone grow Petrocosmeas (Gesneriads)?

I bought a few Petrocosmeas recently. They are relatives of African Violets, except they are cool-growing for the most part, coming from the mountains of Southern China and Southeast Asia. I was particularly in intrigued by the amazing rosettes of those I saw in the cool house at the SF Conservatory of Flowers. Although related to African Violets, the rosettes are flatter, and often hug the surface they grow on. Unlike African Violets, which have had much of the individuality of the species bred out of them, Petrocosmeas are often available as species.

From what I understand, they are perhaps even easier to propagate from leaf cuttings than African Violets. I started a bunch of leaves when I got the plants, and many, if not most have rooted already. Some leaves I got associated with tiny plants had even rooted and already started their own plantlets.

Here are the plants as i got them, in small pots:

(if someone wants IDs on all of these, just ask, and I'll figure them out)

All plant, of course, quickly donated a few leaves to propagation. My favorite of the set, by leaves alone, is Petrocosmea begonifolia, lower middle above. All leaves rooted after a month:

Petrocosmea begonifolia, even after having all of those leaves plucked off of it, looks fine a month later.

And one of the plant I received is in bloom. Petrocosmea forrestii:

Anyway, I will soon (several months) have a number of these, probably 6 different species, for giveaway or trade. I've been looking for a while for mostly Nepenthes, in all forms (seed, cuttings, seedlings, plants) when it comes to trades.

Since many of these are lithophytes in nature, and can be grown as epiphytes, I imagine their are a lot of fun ways to grow these either as mounted plants, or along with cool growing Nepenthes, perhaps even on the sides of mesh pots containing sphagnum.

Petrocosmea begonifolia is my favorite of the ones you posted. Don't grow any myself as can't easily maintain the conditions they desire. Just as well considering I have next to no space left for more plants.

I don't think I mentioned it above, but one of my interests is trying these outside. I'm 25 miles South of San Francisco. My average temps vary from 60/40 F in the winter to 75/55 in the summer. No frost--I'm zone 10a, I think, in my local area (in varies block to block around here) although my highly sheltered growing area is probably actually zone 10b. The biggest problem might be the occasional very warm days (90s) and drops in humidity, particularly on those days. I'm in a sunny, not foggy area. So I'm going to cautiously try these outside once I get them propagated--I haven't decided whether to try the biggest ones, or the smaller, propagated ones first.

Right now they are getting pretty constant ~70 degrees or so.

Hi Randy, I have one of those in my cool house, though I would have to check what species it is. It might be one you don't have since it doesn't look very similar but if it is something different I would gladly send you a few leaves. I'm in zone 10A as well, but with the heat waves we had this summer don't think I could ever risk them outside.

I have a Aichryson laxum. The texture/how the leaves look are VERY similar to how the laxum grows. The leaves fall off and months later look absolutely no different.
Smells vile when touched.

Here are the plants with their labels. There are a couple which I assume are currently unnamed species.

Bonnie, definitely let me know what species it is. I could always send a leaf each of these, or something else in return. We actually had a pretty mild summer, with just a small number of hot days. August never hit 85. The worst/longest heat was the beginning of October. I've noticed we don't always get Southern California's heat waves, which I guess is a good thing...

Hi Randy, it looks like mine is actually a cultivar and they sell it the same place you got your others, it is 'Short'nin Bread'. If you want some I will happily send some leaves, I don't need anything in return, you're always generous :)

Thanks Bonnie! I will send you my address.

Will get them out to you Monday :)

Great looking plants. Does anyone here have seed of Petrocosmea species to sell. I am in Australia, its legal to send the seed here (no permits needed), just not the plants. Please message me if you do. I have been after them here for some time, but never found anyone growing them, which is odd. They are listed on BICON, our Dept of Agriculture website as legal for import.

Brett

Great looking plants. Does anyone here have seed of Petrocosmea species to sell. I am in Australia, its legal to send the seed here (no permits needed), just not the plants. Please message me if you do. I have been after them here for some time, but never found anyone growing them, which is odd. They are listed on BICON, our Dept of Agriculture website as legal for import.

Brett

Back