What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aroids, Hoya, and other novelties

Amongst all the CP's there are a handful of plants that are unusual enough to catch my eye. They include:

No clue what species this is, but the flowers are powerful enough to fill the living room with floral scent in the mornings. This guy came to me as a cutting, and the person I got it from has had it in the family since 1915, so it's at least a century old.
Hoya by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Hoya by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Also, got these guys as tubers labeled Amorphophallus konjac, which clearly they were not. Despite what I've heard about this species however, it's interesting enough to me to keep around, especially what with its common name of "Green Dragon"
Pinellia pedatisecta by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

Since then I have acquired not only the A. konjac I was after, but several other aroid species, a number of which are already waking up. They may end up shown in this thread, along with my other novelties such as Aristolochia, various Passiflora, etc.

I have a hoya blooming at the moment myself (H. pubicalyx). though I can't comment on the smell because a respiratory infection has temporarily rendered me unable to smell anything.

I'm hoping the infection clears up before the blooms expire so I can give it a whiff.

I think I like the color of yours better.....

Ive been looking for an interesting hoya for quite a while now but nothing has ever been enough to catch my eye.
Except for that pubicalyx. I love the interesting/colorful blooms

The particular pubicalyx I have is the "Royal Hawaiian Purple"

I'm also watching out for an. H. macgillivrayi "Pandanus Creek" - gorgeous blooms, those. I bought a cutting, and it has slowly withered away in my care.

Hcarlton, yours looks like it might be an H. carnosa, which have been in cultivation a long time, and are easy growers, (Based a lot on your given history of the plant) Hoyas are hard to tell apart by just flowers since so many are almost identical, but thought I would throw that out there.

Well, the leaves I can see in other images look like a match....

I also would say Hc's is likely a carnosa.

This is an old blooming of my mindorensis ... plant has been stubborn with regards to growing for me this past couple years.

Here in the NE we have two different aroids called "Green Dragon", our native Arisaema dracontium, and the highly invasive Pinellia ternata, sometimes referred to as "The Green Dragon From Hell".

Fairly certain of the ID of the aroid at this point. It's not large enough to be the Arisaema species, and doesn't fit the ternata description.

I like the spiky look of that Mindorensis.

Not really a novelty, however I ran into these very handsome Violas
the other day and I couldnt walk away. This particular batch has very dark
orange tinged edges and heavy veining.

4OPNSeL.jpg

My main Pinellia has gotten huge, with the biggest leaves spanning nearly 18"
Also, received seeds of this plant a few months ago, and planted only 4 of them, but got 100% germination
Passiflora pinnatistipula by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
And, the aroids are all starting to move more quickly
Typhonium venosum by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Amorphophallus konjac by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Amorphophallus dunii by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Two species, A. yuloensis and A. symonianus, are also awake, but haven't quite left the soil surface yet.
Begonias are starting to hit the second growth stage
Begonia bogneri by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
And, anyone here good with ferns? One of many puled from the Nepenthes pots
NOID fern by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

So since last time the aroids have really stepped it up
This guy is kind of floppy, the long stalks enjoy leaning on everything else at this point
T. venosum by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
This one was under the shelf, so the leaves were splayed out, but has since gone erect again, and is well over a foot tall, may be exceeding 18" now
A. konjac by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
And this one... well, even without flowers this year there are jokes running through my head just looking at the stem...
A. dunnii by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
My other two species are much further behind, but are awakening
A. yuloensis by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
Of this species, I have this main bulb, and a second intercalary bulb that is also sprouting
A. symonianus by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

I have a Hoya ciliata that really needs to find a new home. I have it in a window, and my natural light through windows is pretty minimal. It's alive, but struggling. In theory I could move it under lights, but I think it would prefer a new home. It's too cool outside, although frost free. Free for postage. Hawken, or anyone else? This is the "black Hoya", flowers are supposed to smell like peanut butter. I got a cutting in a trade a while ago...

I have a Hoya ciliata that really needs to find a new home. I have it in a window, and my natural light through windows is pretty minimal. It's alive, but struggling. In theory I could move it under lights, but I think it would prefer a new home. It's too cool outside, although frost free. Free for postage. Hawken, or anyone else? This is the "black Hoya", flowers are supposed to smell like peanut butter.

*sigh* If only I had the space.........

I have a Hoya ciliata that really needs to find a new home. I have it in a window, and my natural light through windows is pretty minimal. It's alive, but struggling. In theory I could move it under lights, but I think it would prefer a new home. It's too cool outside, although frost free. Free for postage. Hawken, or anyone else? This is the "black Hoya", flowers are supposed to smell like peanut butter. I got a cutting in a trade a while ago...

I'd be interested, I've been thinking about Hoya a little bit now and then, but you really got me with the peanut butter scent haha.

Oddly, my Hoya grows in rather low lighting and does just fine.... has 4 bunches of flowers more on the way.

This is very low lighting--too low for even low light houseplants. I've completely given up trying to grow anything there. The windows are like being at the end of a cave due to shade from the unit above and the walls of this one. Even outside, immediately on the other side of the window, it's too shady for almost anything.

Last edited:
Back