Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Subrosa's Outdoor Non-Bog Photo Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smoke Bush, Cotinus coggygria. This plant was purchased two years ago for $1 at Home Depot. This is the first bloom.:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Subrosa's Outdoor Non-Bog Photo Thread-1433611536684469810713-jpg  
    Last edited by SubRosa; 06-06-2015 at 10:36 AM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wood Poppy, Stylophorum diphyllum. Not to be confused with the very similar appearing European import Chelidonium majus:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Subrosa's Outdoor Non-Bog Photo Thread-img_20150608_172659-jpg  
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love wood poppies. I have quite a few reseeding amongst my fern bed. Here they pretty much get done by May.
    Last edited by theplantman; 06-09-2015 at 07:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend had a section of backyard under a high canopy that was planted with Wood Poppy, Virginia Bluebells and Woodland Phlox which all bloom together. The sight of them in full bloom would take your breath away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full disclosure, this plant is actually in the bog, but isn't supposed to be. Each year I grow a pot of these annuals from the previous year's seeds, and usually a plant or two pop up around the garden. This year the pot went bust, not a single plant germinated. And this is the only volunteer, so even though it grew where it shouldn't, I need it for seed. Opium Poppy, Papaver somniferum:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Subrosa's Outdoor Non-Bog Photo Thread-img_20150612_071601-jpg  

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Epic cranberries there too!

Poppies are one of my favorite flowers, and grow incredibly well, but unfortunately are cracked down on here. Even if you're a harmless little old lady who just loves the look of 'em in your garden. Quite a shame to stigmatize a plant for the rest of us who just consider it not only a superb ornamental, but also great pollinator food.
    Last edited by theplantman; 06-12-2015 at 07:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really is senseless to crack down on the flowers here. Opium production is incredibly tedious and time-consuming, and requires a third world labor force to be feasible. The experience of collecting a ball of raw opium about the size of a pea made me lose all thoughts of growing the plants for any other than ornamental purposes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the cranberry as a ground cover. It certainly covers a lot of ground fast!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast