What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Subrosa's Outdoor Non-Bog Photo Thread

• Thread starter SubRosa
  • Start date
Full disclosure, this plant is actually in the bog, but isn't supposed to be. Each year I grow a pot of these annuals from the previous year's seeds, and usually a plant or two pop up around the garden. This year the pot went bust, not a single plant germinated. And this is the only volunteer, so even though it grew where it shouldn't, I need it for seed. Opium Poppy, Papaver somniferum:

Attachments

• IMG_20150612_071601.jpg
    IMG_20150612_071601.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 55
Epic cranberries there too!

Poppies are one of my favorite flowers, and grow incredibly well, but unfortunately are cracked down on here. Even if you're a harmless little old lady who just loves the look of 'em in your garden. Quite a shame to stigmatize a plant for the rest of us who just consider it not only a superb ornamental, but also great pollinator food.

Last edited:
It really is senseless to crack down on the flowers here. Opium production is incredibly tedious and time-consuming, and requires a third world labor force to be feasible. The experience of collecting a ball of raw opium about the size of a pea made me lose all thoughts of growing the plants for any other than ornamental purposes!

I like the cranberry as a ground cover. It certainly covers a lot of ground fast!

Rosa palustris, the Swamp Rose. First bloom for this plant which is the only rose suitable for continuously wet soil. In a normal spring this plant will be in standing water for several periods ranging from days to a couple weeks:

Attachments

• IMG_20150621_160955.jpg
    IMG_20150621_160955.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 52
Back