Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Passiflora (Passionflower, Passionfruit) Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, any picture of the P. foetida? I have not seen that variety bloom. I gave a friend a seedling last year and all I saw was a faded bloom...

I don't know if this is OK on this forum, but I'll do it anyway, and delete it if it's not allowed (and please let me know). Grassy Knoll Exotics is moving to a different location in Oregon, and having a 40% off sale of many (but not all) of her plants. This is a stellar nursery, and the best all-around source of Passifloras (as well as other plants) in the country. They also have the biggest selection in this country.

http://gkplants.com/collections/moving-sale

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately I cannot grow the fruiting varieties here. I did have a "cold hardy" passionflower growing outside a few years ago, but don't know what variety it was. It accidentally got sprayed with herbicide and perished I loved that plant and planning on getting another when I can clear another space for one.

[IMG]Passion flower bees by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P. foetida:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Passiflora (Passionflower, Passionfruit) Thread-img_20150710_071238-jpg  
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Djoni, I should find out from Elizabeth Peters (who owns Grasssy Knoll Exotics) if there is anything that will fruit in your area (besides P. incarnata, I guess). She's in Oregon City and moving to Ranier. I'm thinking P. elegans and P. tucumanensis, maybe? Not P. edulis, of course.

John, it's a "blue" one. Cool. Not truly blue, but closer than many things that get called blue. Did it make fruit? Maybe mine will bloom this year.

I recently got a Passiflora from a friend. I don't think she knows the origins, but it's a P. sublanceolata hybrid. Flowers are bigger than most P. foetidas, but it's in the same subgroup, or "section", Dysosmia. So it also has the sticky bracts around buds, flowers and fruits (visible in the photos below). Actually, to a minor extent they are on the rest of the plant. These sticky bracts can apparently trap insects, leading some people to argue the plants could be carnivorous. I understand this is not generally believed, as there is no good evidence the plants digest and derive nutrients from trapped insects. Regardless, these are very cool structures.

I believe this plant is self-fertile. I'm trying to find out whether the fruit is tasty. These are my friend's photos. She says the flower is about 4 inches before it reflexes, so it's larger than P. foetida. And of a shocking pink color.

Last edited by RandyS; 07-10-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No fruit yet Randy, and I did try hitting a few of the blooms with pollen from the sanguinolenta. There are still plenty of big fat buds, so hopefully I'll get some fruit by the end of the season. That sublanceolata hybrid really is something!
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with John. That hybrid is quite lovely. The sticky bracts are always such an ornate and interesting feature to have.

As far as hardy Passifloras go, P. caerulea might also work for your climate, Djoni. It'll take down to 5F (possibly more--we haven't gotten colder since I've had mine).
    Last edited by theplantman; 07-10-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, I think Passifloras of subgenus Decaloba (includes P. sanguinolenta) have a different number of chromosomes from subgenus Passiflora (includes P. foetida). So no hybrids have been observed. But of course it could always in theory stimulate selfing. By the way, I tried that with P. saguinolenta + P. caerulea pollen, 1 flower, nothing. I also just tried it on two flowers with P. loefgrenii pollen (which has a reputation as having extremely "potent" pollen). I should know in a couple days. I'm about to try again on a couple with P. caeurulea.

I have started 5 or 6 cuttings of the P. sublanceolata hybrid, so hopefully I should have some rooted soon. It's supposed to be ridiculously easy to root.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just heard from my friend that this hybrid has not produced fruit for her, so she doesn't know how it tastes. She says she expects it tastes like pure P. sublanceolata, which is good, with fruit larger than P. foetida (which is small), but not a lot bigger. Presumably it needs cross-pollination, and P. foetida would be an obvious one to try.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast