Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aristolochia thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aristolochia thread

I don't know if there's an Aristolochia thread already, but I decided to start one. These are cool plants that are in no way carnivorous, but they do typically trap their pollinators for a day or so, releasing them when their pollen matures.

Aristolochia chilensis, first time bloom. Plant at my mom's. Origin: Annie's Annuals. All photos are of the same first flower, today, Aug. 5.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a different species, Aristolochia fimbriata, blooming in early July:

A leaf:

The base (it's considered a caudiciform, and went dormant last Winter and Spring):

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my earliest memories is hanging out with a friend up the street in the "cave" created by a massive Dutchman's Pipe vine, A. macrophylla. Istarted a couple from seed two years ago, but lost them last winter. I definitely need to try them again. But if they aren't winter hardy I just don't have the space.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another one, to bloom soon. The flowers can get as big as 10 inches, but I suspect this one will be smaller.

Aristolochia gigantea. I originally bought the plant at Kartuz, gave it up in a move, but got back a rooted cutting from Grassy Knoll Exotics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing genus, wish I had the room for these. Can't wait to see the A.gigantea when it opens ! Great looking plants as always Randy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Johnnny!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A.chilensis is one I had not heard of. An oddball among oddballs. Might have to hit you up for some cuttings after I move !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping A. chilensis will start making seeds. Unfortunately the first flower fell off without, but there are 3 more buds. I've asked around and people seem to think it's self fertile. Whether it's self-pollinating is a different story, as Aristolochias typically have receptive stigmas before the pollen matures. That's the whole point of trapping insects with the inward facing hairs. The stigma is receptive when they are trapped, and when the pollen matures the hairs shrivel, freeing them. A. fimbriata (and I think many other species) almost always makes seed, so we'll see what happens here.

The problem with cuttings is that the plant is small, with two "vines" about 6 and 12 inches long. The longer one is forming buds right now. Also, the species is tuberous, and I've been told it's better started from seed for that reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast