Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amorphophallus

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's getting too much hot, direct sun, Andy. Give that poor thing some dappled shade from noon to five!

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like an Amorpho ... and if it came from me it is definitely an Amorpho.

Assuming I'm correct on its general ID:
    • Intense light will result in stockier growth. Those I have seen grown in heavy shade get a lot taller, but the stems were flimsy.
    • Yellowing could be due to sun intensity or due to dormancy on set. How long ago did it "wake up"?
    • Being that you are in AZ, it could use quite a bit of water all summer long. Also, considering the intensity of your summer sun coupled with your arid climate, I would suggesting giving it shade during the hottest part of the day. Morning and evening sun should not be a prob.
    • As long as the bulb has been in leaf for two or three months, it should have had ample opportunity to make and store sufficient food reserves for its winter dormancy.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Guess I didn't subscribe to my topic.. sorry I didn't see the reply DradonsEye! No it didn't come from you, I traded it for some Prickly pear pads

As far as how long it had leaves, not very... it broke soil ground kinda late... This is what it looked like on 8/12/15

That said, I have a new problem. I moved it to the front yard where it could get afternoon shade, and woke up this morning to it having been eaten by Javelina Going by the prior post that they should have 2-3 months of leaves for a proper dormancy, is it probably done for? (they also ate my strawberry plants seen here)

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    That said, I have a new problem. I moved it to the front yard where it could get afternoon shade, and woke up this morning to it having been eaten by Javelina
    Looks like it is time to add "desert pig" to your dinner menu.

Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Going by the prior post that they should have 2-3 months of leaves for a proper dormancy, is it probably done for?

I have never had an issue with something destroying the leaf completely as has happened with yours, but I do not believe a new leaf will be produced to replace it. Whether it survives will depend upon just how much energy it was able to gather during its time leafed out and what energy reserves remained from the old corm. If enough stored energy is present, then it may still from a new, albeit much smaller, corm to sprout next growth cycle. It may have even formed several tiny corms during its brief growth period. After the stem completely dies down, you can carefully dig the corm up and see what, if anything, remains.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks. So should I stop watering it now? Maybe even move it where it's cooler (in a greenhouse)?
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks DragonsEye for the PMs... Here is what I dug up today. The top one feels good, the bottom one is definitely softer, but not mushy. I was careful not to break as many roots as I could in case I need to get it back into the ground or something.
    Thanks again for the help!
    Andrew

-Andrew

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bottom corm should shrivel up as the new corm absorbs the nutrients and moisture contained in the old one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12