What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lichens

• Thread starter SubRosa
  • Start date

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
Some of the trees I'm processing were dead when I dropped them and are literally covered in lichens. Not much variety, but no lack of quantity! Some cool hollow logs covered in the stuff too.

Attachments

• IMG_20151013_093745.jpg
    IMG_20151013_093745.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 95
Found one worth a photograph while traipsing through the woods:

lichenized-branches.jpg

lichen-close.jpg

I'm trying to grow these but I can't figure out how xD I got some on a piece of expanded clay inside a humidity dome right now. These are some beautiful pictures.

I'm trying to grow these but I can't figure out how xD I got some on a piece of expanded clay inside a humidity dome right now. These are some beautiful pictures.

I've heard that they don't generally take well to transplanting. Some gardening forums advise you to crush the lichens up into dust / flakes, then spread them onto stone that's been painted with milk / buttermilk / yogurt, then misted daily.

I'm trying something similar, except I treated some lava-rock with diluted maxsea and painted the flecks on with a paintbrush. Much too early to tell whether it will work or not.

You have to remember you're not dealing with a plant, it's a composite organism. A symbiotic relationship between a mycobiont and a photobiont.

Back