What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Companion Plants for U.reflexa ?

Hi all, I'm looking to start a small African tank for Utricularia reflexa ( http://www.cpphotofinder.com/utricul...flexa-733.html ), a free floating African species. In the wild, this plant grows in shallow water among grasses, sedges and other emergent aquatics. My biggest question here is what African plants to use as companions for the Utricularia ? The tank will only be a 10 or 20 gallon, probably less than half filled including media, no filtration or water circulation of any kind. Both aquatic and emergent plants would be nice to put in there if possible. I'm aware of the Anubias species as well as Bolbitis (which may or may not do poorly in non moving water).

Any other suggestions for other small African species that won't be too much of a pain to keep under control ?

Thanks in advance.

If Madagascar counts, I have Cyperus alternifolius.

I'd like to stick with mainland African species for this tank. As it is, I'll probably have to settle on species that don't necessarily grow with U.reflexa in nature.

Those seem to be a bit larger than what I'm looking for Kevin. They'll be great once I can grow it outside year round though. I've settled on Anubias barteri, A.hastifolia, Bolbitis heudelotii and Crinum natans for now. Hopefully I can find a Nympoides ezannoi as well.

Back