What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early Christmas Present :-)

Wasabi

Thank you Santa ;-)

Wasabi japonica daruma (3)

w1

w2

w3

I know the pots are too small long term. I just wanted to get them into some soil and light asap, so used what I had on hand.
Cant wait to taste actual fresh wasabi :-O

nomnomnomnom

Last edited:
That Santa is so generous!

Last edited:
WOW, I can grow ginger, maybe I need to try this next. Enjoy and let us know how it tastes

Judy, seems straightforward from what I can tell, highland conditions, rich soil, and low-medium light

thanks all, will keep posted as to their progress
I am deeply humbled...

Keep foliage dry. Feet wet, cool

Keep foliage dry. Feet wet, cool

going to grow them on my basement floor adjacent to my heli chamber. I think it will be as ideal as I can provide without a dedicated system

If you can grow these well enough that they divide quickly, you can be quite rich.

Nice Christmas present! Keep us posted on how they do.

going to grow them on my basement floor adjacent to my heli chamber. I think it will be as ideal as I can provide without a dedicated system

Mine outside got caught in rain. Leaves rotted. Got septoria leaf spot badly. Really a cabbage. Might do well in places that the ramps did well. Spring water. Cool

Mine outside got caught in rain. Leaves rotted. Got septoria leaf spot badly. Really a cabbage. Might do well in places that the ramps did well. Spring water. Cool

That's too far from the house, if anyone were to come up on them and them in pots.... I know what they would think lol
Plus, I got to -30f last winter, and near 100f in the summer.... everything I read says anything above 75f induces fungal attack
(sounds an awful lot like heliamphora requirements in many ways, other than maybe avoiding getting the foliage wet)

right now, I'm having the perfect weather conditions for them (as far as I know) so they are sitting on the front porch (shaded)

I figured you would be the one who would have tried them already... lol
thinking maybe a 5 gallon bucket bubbler hydro set up in my cool basement with just ambient lighting from the plant racks.

Cheap, easy and just need an aquarium pump, I could recycle the water from my weekly aquarium water changes for them.
Should be a good organic nutrient base with lots of trace elements

open to any suggestions :)

- - - Updated - - -

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/pnw0605/pnw0605.pdf

If you could grow in leca, providing constant water flow and large amounts of air pumped through the substrate would provide considerable evaporative cooling to the root zone. Using a cooler as a pot would probably help too.

Last edited:
that's along the lines of what I was thinking too.... :)
there is one picture in that PDF file where its obvious the entire root ball is submerged.

Last edited:

I think it was being grown by some peeps in haiku. Lower elevation than me. Maybe about 1000 feet. More humid warmer. They have a truncate in greenhouse. Just green house preventing wet leaves

Lowe's LOLOLOL

you Hawaiians and your climate :p

hehehehehe

A round drink cooler filled almost to the top with leca, with an air manifold set on the bottom. Top water with some means of diffusing the water evenly, and let it drain back out the bottom. You wouldn't have a dirt floor in your basement would you? If not, get some ear plugs and a jack hammer and give the water someplace cool to hang out when it's not working.

Wasabi update:

update:

wasabi2

wasabi3

wasabi4

#3 is lagging but appears fine. Otherwise, pretty good progress imho

Waiting on my big bag of LECA to arrive, then they will go into a new home that I believe will be a good simulation of their natural environment.

wasabi1

:-O

Last edited:
My LECA arrived, going to try drip hydroponics
[video]http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/wasabi/leca.MOV[/video]

would seem like a reasonable replication of a creek bed :scratch:

Hmm interesting how it is inconsistent, pretty neat really! Hope it works out for you. =)
Andrew

Back