What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HUGE tillandsia

Hello ppl,

Just thought that I'd share a few pics of some tillandsia plants that I found on a hill in my grandma's farm. These plants are HUGE!! I think that the biggest one is like 2 feet in diameter, and the inflorece was something like 2.5 feet long; they are by far the largest ones that I have seen around here! I'm wondering if anyone knows what species they are. I'm not sure if they're endemic to PR, so that's why I'm asking. Anyway, here they are.
lo_T_unknwA.jpg

lo_T_unknwB.jpg

lo_Ts_unknw.jpg

Enjoy!
smile.gif

Joel

Nice plants! Can't help with the I.D. but maybe Fatboy can. I think other people grow these too. One day I will get one for myself.

Suzanne

Josh, the "growing Nepenthes outside" thing didn't worry me cause I can do that too but NOW I am seriously jealous.
Lets talk - I want one!!!!

I have a T flabellata that looks a bit like that but I did a search in google and the ones on the web don't look like it at all. Additionally my flabellata isn't a grey type of Tillandsia whereas the one in your pics definitely has the grey scales that indicate it likes conditions a bit dry.

My suggestion is you email one of those terrific pics to Frank Mesina at www.airplant.com and ask him.
I would really like to know what they are, if we can't come to a deal on me buying one from you then I want to know what I need to start hassling other people for.

Cheers, fatboy.
biggrin.gif

Troy

These plants really are big, so if I send you one it's going to have to be in a big box!!
smile.gif
It's strange though, they look much smaller when they're on the trees. And get this, those weren't the biggest ones!!
wow.gif
There was one tree that had 5 or 6 REALLY big ones there! If you're really interested, I can maybe get you one of those, but It's going to take a while, since A) those are high up on a tree, B) there are wasps and poison ivy everywhere, and C) I don't exactly live next to my grandma.
wink.gif

I also went ahead and measured the plants that I have with measuring tape. The plant in the first pic is a little more than 1 foot in diameter, but I saw ones that were much bigger than that. There are 3 plants in the second pic, and the biggest one of those measures at an astounding 2 feet 8 inches in diameter (bear in mind that I accidentally broke off some of the long leaves, so it may well have been bigger that that)! I might have exagerrated a little on the inflorescence though, it was probably closer to 2 ft or less than to 2.5 ft.

I think that I have 2 species there, and I send an email to Mr. Mesina, so I'll be waiting for a reply. Anyway Troy, message or email me if you're still interested.

Joel

Joel Joel Joel...

This is cruel!
I'm going on holidays on Sunday to look at Neps and the entire time I'm going to have those Tillandsia's stuck in my head.

I'll PM you, I really do want one.

Cheers, Troy.

LOL Troy!
smile.gif

I'll send you one.... but I need YOUR SOUL!!!

MUAAAHAHAAAAAAA!! >=]

hehe
wink.gif

Joel

Where do I sign?

Back