What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Touch-Me-Nots?

VFT actually that is not correct.
Mimosa seed pods are like bean pods and don't have any power of movement.
The leaves, and in some species the leaf stems, collapse when they are touched.

Cheers, Troy.

The ones here, have seed pods that explode. Oh, and impations are the same way. Other than the flower and shape they are the same. Same texture and everything.

Wesley, the variety I had earlier this summer grew thorns. I got tired of them (there were 3) grabbing me when I was watering my other plants, so they are no more.

I too have heard Mimosa called Sensitive Plants and Touch-Me-Nots. I used to have one when I was a kid.

If I remember correctly Phil and Jeff did sell them. But now they have Troy's seeds.

Suzanne

are there any other plants besides mimosas, that close their leaves then touched? because unless the one i had wasnt a mimosa, i should be right..it was a long time ago, but i dug up one from a golf course and grew it for about two years. it had thorns and the flowers were kinda like pink balls (just the shape) and when i touched it on accident, the seed pods just "blew up" and shot some seeds.

VFT that sounds exactly right, apart from the seed pod part.
The smallest Mimosa is like a low ground cover, it's thorny and has flowers just like you remeber - fuzzy pink balls. The seeds are in dry, bean-like pods though and they don't move or explode.

Cheers, Troy.

oh..then could a weeds have grown along with them? i didnt exactly pay too much attention to them, so i wouldnt really have noticed....

I have seen the plant that moves its leaves and branches when you tickle it. Has anyone elseKids call these mimosa plants TickleMe Plants. I just grew seventy five of these plants with my school kids. They did get thorns and amazing cotton candy like flowers. My school got them at TickleMePlant.com because they 100% guaranteed their seeds would grow to become ticklish. They did in 3 weeks. TickleMe Plants are NOT carnivorous, they wouldn't hurt a fly, but I bet they scare them when they move.

Your about a week too late to snag a mimosa on the trading forum.

xvart.

I think we have a new record for the longest a thread has been dead before being resurrected.

yes, we do!!! And I am sure I'll have more seeds, so keep your eyes peeled.

I think we have a new record for the longest a thread has been dead before being resurrected.

Holy crap! I didn't even notice! I often check the forums and see random threads that have like three pages and think, "wow, there was some action on the forums this afternoon!" Little did I know there was some action on the forum five years ago! lol.

xvart.

BCK, I see what you meant now. About the thorns.

I love those plants whenever i see one i cant help but touch it.
anyways how does it work :scratch:

anyways how does it work
Regulating cell turgidity like in a VFT. Water rushes out of some cells and into the intercellular space which makes them "limp". Later, the water returns to those cells which makes them regain pressure/rigidity.

That is awsome thanks for telling me

touch me not is mimosa pudica. I used to see it everywhere on the street s in India when I was a kid. I got one to try it out...and lol killed it. Its such an irony...in India it grows in the streets as a weed. :p lol! grows as trees. Just makes me smile at how perfect nature is. :D

...in India it grows in the streets as a weed.

Also it's scattered everywhere in Cairns, Austrailia (just off the Great Barrier Reef) that appear to be little shrubs!

Jewel plant is a weed here. The pods are so much fun to pop! I planted some sensitive plant seeds at the end of August, and now the biggest seedling has 3 leaves, and another coming. They sprouted well in peat and sand. If anybody wants seeds, I can go and check the local greenhouse plant that has pods, to see if any seeds are left. That's where I got mine in the first place. They're neat little plants, and my little sister loves them.

Back