Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Passion flowers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe so, I think that is what I have. They are mini plants, with just a few leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (goldtrap2690 @ Oct. 03 2002,11:33)
    I also know that this vine makes fruit but I never tasted it before and do not know if it is edible[/QUOTE]

caerulea fruits are edible but not particularly good!
    Stephen
    Sarracenia rosea?...don't be ridiculous!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flowers usually come around spring I believe. I live in southern california so it's a bit unpredictable for me! I've had moderate success in making a cuttings, about one in ten.

I've seen a mature plant before, the fruit was edible and okay, but nothing to write home about. There are a few other varieties that produce excellent fruit. The scent of the flower makes up for the fruit, they smell wonderful!
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Passiflora caerulea grows like a weed in southern CA, USA. I have seen plants with fruits growing on fences along sidewalks. I grow passiflora caerulea along with edulis outdoors year-round in my backyard. Both plants are planted directly in the ground(the temps do not get below the upper 40's where I live). P.edulis produces the fruit that is used in commercial passiflora drinks.Under ideal conditions, most passifloras can grow from seed and flower in a year-year and a half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow a few types of passionflowers. The only type I have tried cuttings from is P. eludis. The only real trick I had to figure out was keep the cutting in very high humidity until they are well rooted, but the same goes for many plant cuttings. I cut diagonally under a node and took most of the leaves off with the stem about 3-4" in the soil with rootone on it, I don't think any of that matters much though.

I have a unidentified passionflower vine I grew from seed ordered from a online seed dealer which I have since read many negative reviews about. Maybe someone can ID it. So far it hasn't bloomed at all but it is very big and overgrowing a few trees.

Unidentified Passionflower vine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuttings are really easy for me . 2 weeks ago I snipped 2 strong vines and 2 vines of jasmine . I put a rooting hormone on them and stuck them in the ground . today i discobered that the leaves fell off but the tendrils are gripping to things and ther are plantlets coming out of my passion flower . I believe it is caerules because it purple in color , i believe it is better to make cuttings during the winter and the place where I got the cuttings has flowers . theres something about the flower that tells a story but I don't remember .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    theres also a carnivorous passion flower too that produces enzymes around it , for more info go to www.sarracenia.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Passiflora foetida, has very sticky bracts around it's flowers. Whilst the primary purpose for these is probably to protect the flowers from herbivorous insects, it has been claimed that this plant also produces digestive enzymes and should be considered carnivorous.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

9. Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast