What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arisaema

• Thread starter larry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow
Hi all! Does anybody grow this? I'm looking for any species from this genus. Please let me know if you have any you'd be willing to part with, thanks
smile.gif

man, I haven't grown that stuff in years. I used to grow A. triphyllum, which is very common in New York, but haven't since my parents moved (close to ten years now). When I was a kid and found it growing at my Grandmother's the first time, I thought it was a pitcher plant (and it probably had a lot to do with me becoming interested in CPs). Every year since then I've said I'd go out and get seeds, but I just haven't - though this summer I did manage to find an all green color form at two locations, with none of the darker pigment. I remember seeing huge patches of both forms of it in a pine forest, in moist areas (mainly on hills near streams), in full shade, often in spots with little other underbrush. In most places it grows there are only scattered plants, but it does occasionally form incredible patches. Anyways, from what I remember from growing it, it is extremely easy to grow, requiring only shade and occasional water.

Easy to grow in soil with much compost in a filtered sun area. My favorite sources are naylorcreek.com and heronswood.com.
Good growing
smile.gif

I have A. triphyllum, but not enough yet to part with. I planted lots of seeds in fall of '02. If they germinate, lots of plants may be looking for homes, if I'm not feeling ambitious enough to plant them all in our woods. I wore latex gloves to clean the fruit pulp off the seeds. I hear the fruit is a skin irritant. So I took no chances.
I also got a corm of A. tortuosum. I was very pleased with it when it came. It had new growing points, etc. It's not supposed to be hardy here according to most sources of info, but if I didn't try what I was told wouldn't grow here, I wouldn't have quite a bit of what I do in my garden. Besides, anything marginal gets a good straw mulch for winter. Straw has an R value of 57.
Bye for now,

Back