Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shameful promotion of passiflora

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chris

Congrats on the new passionflower. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Do you know what variety it is? P. caerulea seems to be one of the most popular being sold in nurseries...I think because they are more winterhardy than most passiflora. And it does have a blue flower. There are LOTS of different kinds though. Some vines grow up to 60 feet.

If you are "collector" oriented, you may find yourself wanting more...just like with CPs. :-) There are so many I want.

Here is p. caerulea...

And the beautiful p. 'Star of Clevedon' with its backswept petals...

I just love 'em!

Suzanne

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think mine is P. caerulea--it matches the picture you provided (thanks!), except the petals alternate from pale blue to the usual off-white.

Yeah, I'm definitely collecting these now! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

IndianaGardener, you mentioned that your Passiflora doesn't bear fruit. Did you say it was P. incarnata? I don't think P. incarnata bears much fruit, at least not in cultivation. Try P. edulis, which is supposed to be the one that bears the fruit found in stores. It's next on my list to buy!

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris..the incarnata does bear fruit. It is one of the better fruits actually. Last year my incarnatas were small but I got two small fruits and they were good. Made me want more! This year my edulis (grown from seed last year) has flowers so I'm hoping for good fruit. Unfortunately I have not been able to get successful cutting from it. I am trying again. If I do, I can send you one if you don't get one before then. Also IF if get fruit, I will have seed to share although its hard to germinate. But FRESH seed germinates best.

The caerulea is a good bloomer...mine has had 4 flowers already. The reason for the alternating color is some are petals and some are the sepals. But they tend to all look like flower petals.

Suzanne

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...so incarnata doea bear fruit. Cool, but why wouldn't IG's bear fruit? I know that most plants (though Passiflora I don't know) don't bear fruit if light is insufficient. Possible? Or maybe humidity?

And the edulis cuttings--that is really nice of you, but if you do manage to root any cuttings, you'll want to give to them to growers not fortunate enough to have any Passiflora at all! Thanks, though.

Ah, sepals...I had a senior moment there. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Indy said she got fruit but that they were empty. Maybe not enough water? Most passiflora are thirsty little buggers. I water mine almost every day. You do have to leave the fruit on the vine for a LONG time. A lot of the hybrids don't fruit...and some require cross pollination or hand pollination but not the incarnata.

I don't know if I will get incarnata fruit this year...so far my one surviving vine isn't growing very well. All the others are growing quite nicely. I may have to shoot it with some SuperThrive. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What blue form bears fruit sooooooooooooooozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaanyy!!!
    Hee hee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmmmmmmm....HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....hmmmmm.....I'm thinking! I'm still thinking..... The mollissima bears good fruit...but thats pink.

Ok PaaaaarrrraaaaaaSUCKooooooo....what is it? Elucidate and educate! hehe

Sooooooooooozzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaannnyyyy [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

This is where all of mine where purchased:

Logees

My passiflora (hasn't bloomed yet) is the the Alata 'Ruby Glow'.
    Check out Hibiscus "Fifth Dimension" too! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast