What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shameful promotion of passiflora

I think Indy said she got fruit but that they were empty. Maybe not enough water? Most passiflora are thirsty little buggers. I water mine almost every day. You do have to leave the fruit on the vine for a LONG time. A lot of the hybrids don't fruit...and some require cross pollination or hand pollination but not the incarnata.

I don't know if I will get incarnata fruit this year...so far my one surviving vine isn't growing very well. All the others are growing quite nicely. I may have to shoot it with some SuperThrive.
smile.gif

suzanne

What blue form bears fruit sooooooooooooooozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaanyy!!!
Hee hee

Hmmmmmmmmm....HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....hmmmmm.....I'm thinking! I'm still thinking..... The mollissima bears good fruit...but thats pink.

Ok PaaaaarrrraaaaaaSUCKooooooo....what is it? Elucidate and educate! hehe

Sooooooooooozzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaannnyyyy
tounge.gif

This is where all of mine where purchased:

Logees

My passiflora (hasn't bloomed yet) is the the Alata 'Ruby Glow'.
Check out Hibiscus "Fifth Dimension" too!
smile.gif

Gafoto,

When I saw the Passiflora page at Logees, I made an odd stunned gurgling sound that is hard to explain. Thanks!

Chris

Whaaaahhhhh! I ordered some Passiflora caerula seeds and got: cannot ship to Hawaii (implied California). Now I know why I've only seen one here! I assume it's too invasive!
confused.gif

If anyone has any seeds they can spare, please send me an email or message. I'd love to grow some passiflora, though I guess I'll have to keep them potted in the house. Probably for the best anyhow, it's currently 90 degrees!

I can buy Passiflora caerulea seeds at my work... Is it worth it? How long do I have to wait for germination and maturity?

They should germinate and grow fairly quickly. I would give it a shot.

Dyflam...if you have had passiflora seeds germinate quickly you have been very lucky! They are infamous for being difficult to germinate, some taking up to a year needing repeated cold treatment.

P. incarnata is one of the easiest with about 80% germination rate with fresh seed. Fresh seed is an important factor. You can improve results by nicking or filing the outer shell and then soaking in orange juice for 24 hrs before sowing. Filing is hard to do..the seeds are small and hard to hold.

I do not know about caerulea germination specifically as my plant was bought from Logees (and they do have a great selection of passion flowers but they are pricey&#33
wink.gif
. I got only one edulis, one alata and one mollisima and 6 incarnatas to survive germination and seedling stage. (I also got one albino plant which was pretty interesting). If you can find an established plant or else have lots of patience...I'd recommend foregoing the wait on seeds. However, if you go for the seeds and get a seedling, its a moment of glory!!
smile.gif
I felt like I a birthed a child. (And let me tell you, EVERYBODY heard about it! lol

I am constantly working on cuttings so when I get some established, I'll let you guys know.
smile.gif

Suzanne

P.caerula is grown outside quite regularly here in the U.K and it gets pretty cold here!!! My downstairs neibour (the one with access to the garden ggggrrr) has an enormous one growing all over her fence. When it's in flower I spend ages looking at the amazing blooms from my bedroom window. It's the only thing that she's managed to grow properly, it almost like a (very beautiful) weed the way it twists round everything!
Rosie

P.caerula is grown outside quite regularly here in the U.K and it gets pretty cold here!!! My downstairs neibour (the one with access to the garden ggggrrr) has an enormous one growing all over her fence. When it's in flower I spend ages looking at the amazing blooms from my bedroom window. It's the only thing that she's managed to grow properly, it almost like a (very beautiful) weed the way it twists round everything!
Rosie

Yes, my p. caerulea did winter over outside quite nicely. And the temps got down into the teens at times. Mine is in a pot but I might try one in the ground and see how it does with good mulching. Other than the incarnata, my others must be taken in during the winter but they did pretty well considering.

Suzanne

About passiflora caerulea, I have many 3-6Ft vines to trade(for incarnata) or send out for the price of shipping(3.50 possibly $5). They grow like weed in S.California. I have seen them grow wild in many places and produce tons(hundreds) of bright orange fruits(edible but no taste:( The vine grows quite gigantic in these areas(50, 100+ft)

Back