Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shameful promotion of passiflora

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all

I just wanted to share the beauty of passiflora! (Maybe start a new addiction!) They are wonderful vining plants that have incredible flowers AND the bonus of edible fruit in many varieties (passionfruit...found in many fruit drinks). There is a wide variety of species and hybrids...most are tropical. The only species native to the U.S. is the p. incarnata (which does have good fruit) which can survive cold temps. The vines are attractive and make beautiful arbors and trellises or fence covering.

This is the hybrid p. 'Elizabeth'...with a friend. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Large flowers, nice fragrance, frilly filaments.

And passiflora 'Blue Bouquet'...a beautiful deep blue.

Hope maybe some of you will be inspired to give them a try. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! BLUE! I had no idea that there were flower shapes and colors other than the purple/violet ones.

Thanks for sharing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you give them plenty of room and don't plant them near anything you don't want covered up. They are pretty but hard to control once established.

[img]http://home.**********.com/dyflam/Passion_flower2_web.jpg[/img]

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Statik...there are many colors of passiflora...including pinks, reds and white. If you want to check out some other varieties of passionflowers, look at Misty's web site. There are lots of pics and little bit of info on each plant. The page takes a minute or so to download.

http://www.ccnnwebdesign.com/garden/

Dyflam...nice pic! Is that an incarnata? I don't have to worry about most of my passionflowers taking over as I have to grow them in pots (can't take the cold temps here). I don't have my incarnata in the ground yet but I do want it to cover a fence. That is the only one that would spread. I also may try a p. caerulea in the ground as it stayed out all winter and lived! I was surprised as we had some very cold temps over the winter.

I love passionflowers and would love have more but I'm limited having to use pots.

I am ecstatic because I just discovered flower buds on my p. edulis! Its one of my "babies"...grown from seed. It never bloomed last year so this is quite an event. And its also supposed to have some of the best fruit. :biggrin:

Suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what variety mine is (actually my neighbors). They are one of the coolest flowers though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I was at long wood I saw one that had crimson red flowers. The plant itself was on a 30 foot archway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmm...passiflora and carnations are my favorite non-cp flowers. There was a large vine growing on a fence in Arcata (northern california) on my way to school and I'd make a point of sniffing the flowers whenever I got the chance.

Anyone have any seeds that will grow in zone 9/10? I've got a fence that the star jasmine hasn't reached, in the very least I'd love a pot of them in my room. Pop me an e-mail at wickedthistle@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Nana has one, not sure the colour tho.

There was one at a nursery VERY near by (not the one IIIIIIII work at!), and it was called "Blue Crown" Not too cheap tho, twenty bucks, well established though.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast