What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mimosa Pudica

tuyen thi

BANNED
What are the growing conditions of mimosa pudica to be sure that my conditions are the same . My growing conditions are : Temperature : 60 - 100 F , Soil : peat moss with perlite or regular dirt , Water: Tap , Climate : warm temparate , hot summers , chilly winters , Light : full to sunny , Fertiliser : superthrive , acid-loving plants plant food , Area : outdoors . I would like to see your growing conditions .

I most climes, M. pudica would do well on a windowsill -- which is what I do. I used to keep them in terraria, but the humidity and temperature are low here only in winter.

How cold does it get where you live? I doubt M. pudica would appreciate frost. Fatboy would know.

Hmmm...I wasn't aware that M. pudica was an acid-loving plant...I've been using a combination of the usual Superthrive and a putrid-smelling liquid fish+liquid kelp solution (pudica makes a great "guinea plant!").

Remember to soak the seeds in hot water overnight before planting. Plant only those that swell.

I have yet to grow M. pudica in a soil mix for coprophytes, but I may try it soon (in joke).

M. pudica doesn't like being blasted by wind (or even a fan&#33
wink.gif
, so protect it from any strong wind whatsoever if you venture to grow it outside.

My growing conditions:

semi-sun, but full sun would be better. I'd provide additional artificial lighting (via fluorescent growlights) if the plants seemed to mind the lower light at all

watering: I treat it like a particularly tough Fittonia in that I keep the soil moderately moist, avoiding soaking saturation or letting it dry out

humidity is high, but not as high as in a terrarium

soil: to germinate, I used a light mix blended for seed-starting, but I repotted into a regular potting soil (not peat-based is my preference)

to soil, I added a balanced granular slow-release fertilizer in addition to some water-retaining polymer crystals (brandname "SoilMoist")

the mix is topped with long-fiber sphagnum, which retains even more water, allowing me to forget about the plants for a long period of time
smile.gif

fertilizer: v.s.

temperature: ranges from 55F or so in winter to 100F in summer...a warmer winter temp. and a cooler summer temp. would be better...more like 65F to 80F

water: distilled or RO--I don't think M. pudica would appreciate tap water
if you know the T.D.S. level of your tap water, however, I think anywhere below 100 P.P.M. would be OK

BTW, they are now sent

Chris

Back