What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New babies planted!

I hope they do alright! The seeds are now planted as of last night, I can't wait to see what happens!
biggrin.gif

good luck,
keep us posted!

H

CN, make sure you give it lots of heat.  They should sprout in 2-3 days if kept warm  
biggrin.gif

Ohhh...maybe they aren't warm enough? I have the seeds in the cutest tiny little 2 inch pots to start, and they're in my terrarium which is only maintaining about 70 degrees F. I added some warm rain water to the terrarium and the seeds yesterday, but of course that only helps until the water cools. Is it too cool for them you think?
confused.gif

70 is a bit cool and may or may not germinate. 80-85 would cause them to sprout in a few days. Since we don't use the inside of our oven much, i stuck the seed tray in there. And in 2 days they sprouted.
smile.gif

How many seeds did you sow?

They haven't done anything yet (there is one seed per pot).
sad.gif

But I have put a few more in a dish with rain water (I warmed it up and covered the dish with plastic wrap, a few tiny holes poke in for air). It's now in the terrarium. There is two of each seed in the dish, 2 tree (10 ft. mimosa) and 2 shrub/plant (3 ft. mimosa). I just did that tonight. We do use both our oven and our microwave a lot, so that's not an option. Do you think this ought to work well enough? Or is there something else I could do?

For me, warmth seems to be the biggest factor for success. If nothing happens in a few days, then you'll want to try a different method. My first batch, I kept at room temperature, nothing happened. 2nd batch I stuck in the oven, they sprouted real fast. Could you possibly put your dish on top of something warm like a tv or monitor? Just gotta make sure no moisture will drip from your dish
wink.gif

We have a room heater in out room that is kept on low now since we're having fall and winter temps. I wonder if it would be too warm to set it on there for a few days?

Been working on it, and still getting nowhere.
sad.gif

Maybe I am just impatient. Is it truly unreasonable of me to assume that I should see something happening with the seeds after only a few days in water? Even keeping them warmer than room hasn't helped so far.
confused.gif

By any chance, since mimosa is not a CP, does it require a more nutrient rich soil than the peat/perlite mix? Would a potting soil mix work best for these plants?

Yeah, treat them like a regular house plant. If they are in a peat/perlite mix right now don't worry, that's often used for germinating seed. Just transplant them into regular potting soil when they are big enough to transplant.

Ok, 8 days and counting now, still nothing. I will wait until the 23rd, and update post again.
smile.gif

8 days huh? Should've germinated by now
sad.gif

Should I try again, or give it until the 23rd? I used the peat/perlite mix instead of potting soil rich in nutrients. But this shouldn't have been a problem. The terrarium has been steady at 85 degrees for that whole time, and when I planted them, I watered them with distilled water that had cooled from boiling. So it was quite warm, but not boiling.  
mad.gif

confused.gif

CN,
How many seeds did you plant? I planted a bunch, and only a few came up. 85 is plenty warm. How did you prepare the seeds? Did you wait till they plumped up before planting? How deep did you bury the seed? I water with room temperature RO water, I don't think it needs to be watered with warm water.

OK, I put 2 of each (the tree and the shrub) on a plate with water for 3 days then planted one of each seed in a small 2x2 inch pot (peat/perlite) about 1/2 inch down into the soil, and watered them again with very warm water before covering the pots with plastic wrap to keep in the humidity and warmth. Just a few days ago I removed the plastic wrap to water them again, and I didn't put it back.
I can't tell if the seeds plump or not...I put a few more (3 of each) on a plate with really warm water yesterday and 4 of the 6 sunk to the bottom immediately, only 2 floated. I dont' know what that means if anything?
confused.gif

How many do you suggest I plant? More than 3 of each, a small handful, 1/2 dozen of each maybe?
confused.gif

When the seeds plump up, they sink. I planted about 20 seeds and maybe 8-9 germinated. I think you'll increase your odds if you plant many seeds at a time.

Ok, here is what I did:

I read up on growing mimosa and followed instructions given. I soaked 4 of each seed in 120 degree water for 20 minutes. I planted two of each just below the surface of nutrient rich potting soil and watered them with warm water mixed with plant food. The other 4 I left in the water and put them aside in a covered dish with a little ventilation. I did this last part as an experiment. Seems to me when I was a kid and wanted to germinate a seed, Mom would always have me leave the seeds in water for a prolonged period of time, and they would end up sprouting. So, in the event the ones I planted do nothing, perhaps the seeds in water will begin to sprout.

I know, planting that many at a time would be ideal, but I have no place to put or plant that many. I have nowhere to put that many pots, and I don't have a shallow container that I could use or find a place for. I'll have to settle for planting these few at a time until I can come up with a better idea.
sad.gif

The site I was at suggested germination may take up to 21 days. So I've marked the calendar and will wait patiently to see what happens with the seeds both in soil and water.
smile.gif

i had my mimosa's for a while now and they still have'nt flowered yet , when do they . I would also like to know if mimosa invisia is sensitive

Back