What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indoor trellis for "philo" & aristolochia

Is anyone growing their philos or other vines on a trellis indoors? I want to make a "living wall" to divide the living room and dining room. Up it would grow my mystery philo (or other vine) and the aristolochias I have. Since these climbers can take low light I figure on building a large flowerbox with two six foot 4 x 4 posts and some trelis material between them with a 4 foot dual flourescent fixture to light the trelis on either side (160 watts total).

I guess my question is will the philo grow up a trellis or does it need something for the vine to actually root into? The mystery vines roots remind me of orchid roots with like a velamen on the outside. I know the aristolocia will tie itself in knots over trellis material so I know it will be happy but I'm new to philos (or whatever this is - see my "what could this be" for image) and am not sure if I need to do something special for it.

Thanks for any thoughts!
smile.gif

I've seen philodendrons cling to glass so you should be ok with a trellis. A living wall is an excellent idea. Let us know how it turns out.
smile.gif

Might be a good idea to give it quality water since it's in an undrained container...

Glass? wow!

Yes, I always use R/O water for any of my plants. I only use the tap water for doing the dishes, changing fishtank water and taking showers.

Swords,

I would think your philo will need something sturdy to grasp on too as it grows, this type of plant is usually attached to a stake or totom (bark I think). This might be a good plant to grow to cover your 4X4's and have the other vine attach to the trellis inbetween the posts. I would consider a chicken wire cage over the 4X4 stuffed with moss (this plant isn't as picky as cp's--the cheaper sheet moss would be fine). Mist the moss and roots regularily, the plant roots should grasp on and work its way up.

A living divider does sound neat, I've deceided I need a new house to do all the fun things I want to. Good Luck

Thanks Linda! now I just have to clear the idea with the girlfriend...!
biggrin.gif

Back