User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Indoor trellis for "philo" & aristolochia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone growing their philos or other vines on a trellis indoors? I want to make a "living wall" to divide the living room and dining room. Up it would grow my mystery philo (or other vine) and the aristolochias I have. Since these climbers can take low light I figure on building a large flowerbox with two six foot 4 x 4 posts and some trelis material between them with a 4 foot dual flourescent fixture to light the trelis on either side (160 watts total).

I guess my question is will the philo grow up a trellis or does it need something for the vine to actually root into? The mystery vines roots remind me of orchid roots with like a velamen on the outside. I know the aristolocia will tie itself in knots over trellis material so I know it will be happy but I'm new to philos (or whatever this is - see my "what could this be" for image) and am not sure if I need to do something special for it.

Thanks for any thoughts! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen philodendrons cling to glass so you should be ok with a trellis. A living wall is an excellent idea. Let us know how it turns out. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Might be a good idea to give it quality water since it's in an undrained container...

There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glass? wow!

Yes, I always use R/O water for any of my plants. I only use the tap water for doing the dishes, changing fishtank water and taking showers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords,

I would think your philo will need something sturdy to grasp on too as it grows, this type of plant is usually attached to a stake or totom (bark I think). This might be a good plant to grow to cover your 4X4's and have the other vine attach to the trellis inbetween the posts. I would consider a chicken wire cage over the 4X4 stuffed with moss (this plant isn't as picky as cp's--the cheaper sheet moss would be fine). Mist the moss and roots regularily, the plant roots should grasp on and work its way up.

A living divider does sound neat, I've deceided I need a new house to do all the fun things I want to. Good Luck
    Linda in PA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Linda! now I just have to clear the idea with the girlfriend...! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]