What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second leaf on amorphophallus...

The Amorphophallus konjac I got a while back has just sent up a new growth right next to the base of the original plant. At the moment there is simply a blunt pink "thorn" coming up from the soil, is this a common occurance?

Cool, but no idea. All I can say is that Sauromatums will send up 2 stalks. So I'm guessing this is normal for your Amorphophallus.

they can produce more than 1 leaf, but are you sure its not a flower?

They don't flower and leaf at the same time do they?
I assumed they either flower from the tuber, then leaf, then dormancy or just leaf, then dormancy. It will be interesting to see what becomes of this!
I will try and get a picture done today to post.

Hi Josh

I'l be posting you a bunch of A peoniifolius bulbs when I get home (in about 2 to 3 weeks), sorry it has taken so long man. I got some for a few other people on the forums that have been asking too. If you don't mind I may send them all to you and the others can send you a SASE. Please let me know if tha's not cool.

Re you konjac, don't do this but I bet that if you dug it up right now you'd find that new "thorn" is an extra stem, growing from a new bump on the side of your original tuber. What you probably have is a new bulb forming.

When the plant goes dormant, dig it up and you should be able to break off the new bump and when you replant it you'll have a separate plant.

Good job.

Cheers, Troy.

That'd be great Troy, if you can send Josh a bunch of A. paeoniifolius bulbs, then we can send him a SASE for it. Josh, it'd be really cool if you can help us out
smile.gif
Thanks to you both in advance!

It would be fine to receive and distribute the bulbs but I am most worried about having these bulbs shipped to me without proper documentation.
I do not want to end up paying any fines if the package happens to be siezed by customs. I don't see Amorphophallus (or any Aroids) on the Cites list but what about Phytosantiary, I have papers which state that seeds and bulbs are required to have this accompanying them in transit through US borders. How much is a phyto ticket? Perhaps everyone who wants bulbs (myself included) can pay an equal portion of it and then we can use my import permit sticker/number as well so everything can be on the up and up.

I took a picture of the second growth last night. However my web provider for my sites has been fooling around with the server and it keeps telling me they're full when I've actually only used about 1/100th of the space I've got available so I can't post any images...
mad.gif

Yeah, how much would a phyto ticket be? If not too expensive, I'm willing to pay my share.
smile.gif

Here's my Konjac and the pot it originally came in:
Akonjac03.jpg

And here's a closeup of the second growth:
akonjac2ndbud.jpg

Today when I went to water I saw yet another growth poking up through the soil on the other side! It must've been some bulb that was stuffed into that little 3" pot! Now it's in an 8" clay pot (hopefully sturdy enough). it will be interesting to see what the bulb looks like in winter when I dig it up.

I wonder if a package is not marked anything other than senders name & adress and recievers name and adress and doesn't mention contents how it would be handled. I'm curious because years ago before I ever knew anything about the legalities of importing plants & animals I ordered insect eggs (Mantids and Phyllum bioculatum armoured leaf insects) from Asian countries and they simply arrived in plain manila envelopes. I suppose like anything, "it's all legal til you get caught" he he!
wink.gif

What if:
Troy uses a fake name and return address (to protect himself) and sends it to your address, but instead of Josh, he sends it a John Smith or any other fake name. That way if the authorities confiscate it, they'll be looking for John and not you
rolleyes.gif

Back