What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a lithop question...

hello folks...

I repotted my lithops last week, and I planted them in a deep saucer without any drainage holes at the bottom. Could that be a potential problem? I planted them in 50 peat/50 soil, and covered the soil with mini pebbles. It looks swell, but I think I planted them in something I shouldn't have. Also, I am now realizing, watering could be a challenge. I have no idea if I am watering to liitle or too much! All I see is pebbles and lithops! Can anyone make any recommendations?

Thanx,
Meagan

Megan,

You should put it in something else. Something like the cactus mix you can find at walmart or other garden centers. The peat/soil is too rich for the roots and will eventually kill the plant
sad.gif

So get some very poor almost rocky/sandy mix to put it in. We used sand,perlite, and a TAD of peat for some color
smile.gif
but very little.

Only watered it once every 10 days to 2 weeks letting it totally drain within minutes.

I recommend contacting the nursery, "Plants for the Southwest", Jane and Gene are very helpful plant people.

Find them at Plants for the Southwest
when they are up.

you MUST have drainage holes at the bottom and a well-drained gritty mix. also, DO NOT WATER AT ALL FROM OCTOBER TO APRIL!! only start watering when the old leaves have withered away and the new leaves are formed.

Back