Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amorphophallus konjac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone else growing Amorphophallus konjac? I just got one off ebay (about 2 seasons from blooming size) it will come next week. This species is said to make a 6 foot tall purple/black spathe & spadix!

It is supposed to go dry in dormancy, is it better to dig it up and put it in a bag with nearly dry LFS or just let the pot stay completely dry except for an occasional watering? If it's dormant I would assume there would be no harm in storing it like a bulb of any other plant. However I've read it has contractile roots (like titanum) to raise and lower itself under the soil to a preffered position, are these kind of roots still active in dormancy? If so, it wouldn't be a true dormancy would it?

When it is in growing mode as it is now should I water it like a nep flood & flush twice a week or only once per week or less? I've heard rot is common and I'd like to try and avoid any mistakes with a plant such as this.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Josh,
    I'm growing A. konjac. This will be my first time growing it. I have some tubers planted up, and they are ever so slowly thinking about coming out of dormancy. I dig up my bulbs and store them dry in a ziplock. It has no roots during dormancy. A. konjac is less prone to rot than other Aroids. Provide good drainage and it'll be happy. Just curious, how much did you pay for yours? Private message me, thanks.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i used to grow this plant , well not really , i traded off the bulb for devils claw seeds have not germianted yet . anyways , the flower itself isn't actually , the stalk is about 4 feet
    and the flower itself is about 2-3 feet feet tall , very stinky . they like to be fertilized , they should be planted in rich humus with good drainage , they don't like too much llight and when dormancy comes , dig them up and put them in a dry cool place . here are a few websites ; http://florawww.eeb.uconn.edu/images....C02.JPG

http://www4.ncsu.edu:8030/~alan.plan...hallus/konjac/

http://www.aroid.org/genera/amorphophallus/amcult.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Josh, congrats on getting your konjac!

I have three that are in growth mode right now, absolutely beautiful trunks, more beautiful than titanium IMHO.
    I also have a couple of titanium, serious quantities of paeoniifolius and just last week I received palawanensis, excentricus and haematospadix from a very nice guy in Poland.

Goldtrap's advice is excellent, can't add much apart from my get rained on almost daily and they appear to be happy so don't worry about overwatering as long as you have good drainage.
    I fertilise with a fairly weak solution but very regularly, almost every week. I figure the more food I give the plant, the faster the bulb will grow and the sooner it will flower.

If you want paeoniifolius let me know.
    Goldtrap, did you end up buying some from the store near you or do you still want me to send you some?
    The stalks on some of mine are FINALLY turning yellow so I expect they are getting ready to go dormant and will be ready for shipping sometime soon.

Cheers, Troy.

Forgot to add, here's another link that I use almost constantly:

Amorphophallus species list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do these plants require high humidity to grow well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CP2k, I've read (either in the book Aroids: Plants of the Arum Family or online) that they like 70%+ humidity. Being from the same tropical lowland regions where neps also grow.

I've been trying to get as much info as I can and there seems to be no reason that the plants go dormant that I can figure. Anyone know? If it's the plant timing itself for flowering then why do they do it when they are juvenile?

When it flowers will the neighbors (or police) will be banging on the doors demanding to know if there's a rotting corpse on my patio? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Do they truely stink as bad as they say if kept outside as opposed to being in a confined space like a greenhouse or bedroom? If so I can relocate it to my uncles farm during the stinky flower phase (one website said "simply cut it off"-are they insane?). The literature says they stink for aproximately 24-48 hours, how much longer will the inflorescence stay around if it is not pollinated and the stink has dissipated?

As for fertilizer, can I fertilize as I do my orchids with the same balanced 20-20-20 at 1/4 or 1/2 strength every week or two?Should I use a "bloom formula" instead? Is Urea Free Orchid fertilizer OK to use or do I need something less "dainty" and more "heavy duty" like Miracle Grow?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh and CP2K, there's a bunch of questions here, so here goes....

humidity: seems that most are from tropical countries so it would probably be better to have higher humidity if possible however you should note that Amorphophallus is grown quite successfully by people in the UK and northern areas of the US so humidity is probably less important than it is for Neps.

Dormancy: for species like paeoniifolius, that grow naturally here, we have definite seasons. The wet season when it rains constantly is when they grow, and they die back for the dry season. For species like titanium the seasons are not co-ordinated as far as I know (all titanium don't go dormant at the same time) so I don't know?

They stink VERY bad, like you won't want to be around them!!!
    One of my staff literally vomited in the greenhouse. The flower takes a couple of days to properly form and eventually bloom. It stinks for a day or so then starts to go mushy. It kind of falls apart and turns to goop a few days later.

I would vary the fertiliser to ensure they get a good range, go for the heavy duty stuff every few weeks, at least once a month.

hope that helps, Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a shame that such a magnificent flower only lasts but a day or two [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    If things go the way I hope, I will get to see a A. titanum bloom for the first time, at the Cal State Fullerton greenhouse. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Here's two pics I took of it last year. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast