What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a Mimosa seedling?

The tray of seeds I had just about given up on but decided to just sit in front of a windowsill has developed a seedling. It doesn't look like what a Mimosa plant looks like, but could it be an early stage? It has two leaves, both of which are oval-shaped. Is this what a very young seedling looks like, or is this just some sort of weed?

i think, but i m not sure, that mimosas start growth with slightly oval leaves.

i looked at mine after reading your post and a few of em have leaves like you mentioned so maybe they are mimosas...congratulations

Cool! Let's hope you're right. I'll let you know how it turns out.
smile.gif

I potted up the seedling. Cross your fingers that it's really a Mimosa, and that it survives!

Those leaves are called cotyledon, or seed leaves. I think the seedlings of most plants have these. Don't worry about it--mine still have remaining cotyledon leaves. Next, the plant will produce those attractive fern-like leaves that curl up in annoyance when touched!
Chris

How soon should the new leaves be produced?

havron since you got a digital camera you can post a picture here

but you have to upload it to a web site or something
to post pictures you do this

]img[htt://****]/img[

replace the ] with [ and the [ with ]

and the http://**** of the picture when you right click on the picture and goto props it shows the weblink on address, so copy that and paste there with the /jpg thingy

-Stefano

The new leaves should be produced within a week, but it really depends on its growing conditions.

Thanks.
smile.gif

your new moderator,
havron *grin*

Yep, it's a Mimosa seedling! It's beginning to produce the characteristic leaves, which do indeed respond to touch. Wee! =D

Two more seeds germinated the other day. I guess the key lesson here is don't give up on seeds without giving them plenty of time!
smile.gif

Yes, I'm still waiting for some pudica to sprout even after several months.

Ever heard of that bean variety introduced back into cultivation from beans found in ancient Anasazi ruins? read that somewhere--pretty amazing

Chris

i never heard of ancient ruin beans but i swear the black beans i got from chi-chis the other day were more than ancient! interesting side fact: ancient balck beans dont sit well in the human stomach...ill spare you the details

where did you guys get the seed and do either of you have any left over?

i have a couple mimosa plants (6 really) in one pot and they are starting to get nice n bushy (each plant about a foot tall).

id like to start a second pot...and a 3rd, 4th and so on...

if my plants produce seed this season ill be happy to share whatever is left over.

cya

Hey Chris,

The generous user 'fatboy' sent a huge bag of seed to PFT, who distributed upon request. Mine are from fatboy personally...and I've given them the location identification "cow pat in Indonesia." Really! That's where he found them! :)

Seeds should soak in water just beginning to boil and let cooled overnight and then plant the ones that swell. Repeat the process for the ones that didn't swell. I had seedlings germinate in 2 days doing this! When I was told to do this I was scared that they would burn to death, but it worked!

I put my seeds in hot  water, they swelled, i sowed them the next day.  Its now been 3 weeks and none of them have sprouted
mad.gif

Larry,

Can you tell us about the conditions you're keeping the seeds in? That must be your problem.

DE,
The seeds are semi buried in a mix of sphagnum and perlite. I covered the tray with plastic wrap and poked some holes in it. Then I just left the tray outside, under the patio. I'm guessing it will take them a little longer since its still kind of cold. But my drosera seeds finally sprouted, so I hoping these will too.

Larry, remember that mimosa is NOT a carnivorous plant, so ordinary soil would probably work better, am I right? I used seed starter, which worked nicely, though a bit slowly. Sphagnum for starting seeds might be ok, though.

I think the CP mix you used for them is probably the problem, maybe they rotted. I've had plants die in the past by root rot in regular potting soil! My plants that germinated in 2 days were not even covered in a plastic bag, just sitting on my window in pots maybe 1/2" deep. These plants also like warmth, in the hot spots in philippines they're a weed growing everywhere! Nobody likes them, but it's funny how we want to grow them.

Back