What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tillandisa

Anybody grow these airplants?  I think they're cool, and some look like they're from outer space. Perhaps they're related to the extraterrestrial vfts
wink.gif

Yep! I have a few.
smile.gif
My favorite so far is T tricolor, but I'm hoping to get lots more. I'm saving up to get &#36100 (or more) worth of them from airplants.com. They are so cool!

Check out vernicosa 'purple giant' (I'm getting some of these!).

vernicosa-purplgiant-lg.JPG

These are the ones that I have so far

T aeranthos x leonamiana
9464710-18ab-028001E0-.jpg

T schiedeana minor
9464729-7f3d-028001E0-.jpg

T tectorum
9464715-8148-028001E0-.jpg

T tricolor
9464731-6339-028001E0-.jpg

BTW: I still haven't found a permanent place for these yet, I'm planning to put them on a log or something near my Neps. :biggrin:

Joel

Have a few tillandsias in my terrarium.
They are very easy to find in my area. Usually the big nurseries have tons of different species/hybrids for sale for cheap prices &#361-&#3610 for most.

I like the caput-medusa and the bulbosa, those are 2 weird looking plants.

I only grow T. cyanea. The bracts are beautiful. It's growing potted as a terrestrial, for now.

Chris

I have just T. recurvata. A native species I picked up on a road trip 4 hours from me, and I had NEVER seen them before! That got me started. I just put a order in &#3625 worth. I found a GREAT place on the web to buy some wonderful tills, CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP! I strung my tills by fisjhing line from my ficus. They add 3 dimensional, living ornament look! really cool!

Hanging tillandsias from a string is so cool and unusual.  Visitors are astonished that such a thing is possible.
smile.gif

I haven't bought one of those yet, but I'd like to have some one day. I have looked at them many times at a local greenhouse. Fatboy grows them...you should get him to post a pic of his garden...it is awsome!

I guess I was always a little suspicious of them...kind of like that fake, dyed green air fern rip-off. Tillandsias look like a plant that's not really alive and doesn't grow....just some ornamental decoration you hang somewhere. I'd see them stuck in stuff like seashells or driftwood so they looked "artificial". I know now that's not true but that's what I used to think when I'd see them.

OK...let me add yet another plant to the plant list. :)

Suzanne

God, you mean I was not the only one that fell for the "Airfern" an english channel seaweed that thrives on neglect! ah, yes! It looked good in the store! But I rubbed the leaves and my fingers were dyed green! yuck! I payed &#363 for a dryed, dyed, and laid on its side FAKE!

lol Neppie...those air ferns have been a topic of conversation before. Ask RamPuppy about them! lol

I only bought one as a kid...as an adult I knew they were just dyed green. And I really do think its awful that company (who's name is NOT on the product) continues to sell a lie like that. I don't know how they get away with it legally.

Suzanne

Hi all

Suzanne I'm about to order another &#361,000 worth of airplants from airplants.com. I'm also buying a digital camera this week so I'll try and post a few pics.

Neppie, what is the site that you found that was cheap to get your Tillandsias from?

Cheers, fatboy.

Hey yall! I got my plants (the seven that I ordered) They are all of proportional size!!!! :shocked: this one is HUGE!!!

Back