What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chenille plants

• Thread starter Meagan
  • Start date
Does anyone know much about caring for these plants? A few weeks after purchasing mine, all the pretty chenille tails fell off. There are a few new ones growing, but are these plants very tempermantal?

I dunno, but I use Chenille to tie flies! ( Flies for fly fishing, that is)
biggrin.gif

My aunt had a tall hedge of these for a long time, but she eventually got rid of them when she renovated her house. I don't think that they are that tempermental, since my aunt just had them outside, never even watering them.
confused.gif
I can tell you though that they got full sun for most of the day and the temps were mostly in the low 80s to mid 80s. I guess that you could try to just ignore them, since that worked for my aunt fairly well.
smile.gif

Joel

I grew one and tried to ignore it, but it died.
sad.gif

The species I grew until it crapped the saucer
wink.gif
was Acalypha hispida. Check out care info here. To the left you can see the other species in cultivation.

They DO seem pretty temperamental...mine died as a result of being too darn big to fit into a terrarium, where it could be provided with warmer conditions over the winter. Oh well.

If, Meagan, you live in a climate warm enough to grow the plant outside, do so. If you live in a cooler climate and the plant is small, you may want to try terrarium cultivation. If it is too big and not in a hanging pot, you might want to try placing a heat mat under the pot over the winter. Or grow it in a warm room. Good luck!

EDIT: you profile lists your location as being Mars, so that could be a problem. Unless you manage to terraform the planet ASAP, terrarium cultivation is the way to go.
smile.gif

Chris

Back