User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Chenille plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know much about caring for these plants? A few weeks after purchasing mine, all the pretty chenille tails fell off. There are a few new ones growing, but are these plants very tempermantal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno, but I use Chenille to tie flies! ( Flies for fly fishing, that is)
    \"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?\"

\"If vegans love animals so much, why do they eat all thier food?\" - Brandonk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My aunt had a tall hedge of these for a long time, but she eventually got rid of them when she renovated her house. I don't think that they are that tempermental, since my aunt just had them outside, never even watering them. I can tell you though that they got full sun for most of the day and the temps were mostly in the low 80s to mid 80s. I guess that you could try to just ignore them, since that worked for my aunt fairly well.

Joel
    http://homepage.mac.com/mindmaze128/...lood forum.jpg
    Joel Martínez
    San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew one and tried to ignore it, but it died.

The species I grew until it crapped the saucer was Acalypha hispida. Check out care info here. To the left you can see the other species in cultivation.

They DO seem pretty temperamental...mine died as a result of being too darn big to fit into a terrarium, where it could be provided with warmer conditions over the winter. Oh well.

If, Meagan, you live in a climate warm enough to grow the plant outside, do so. If you live in a cooler climate and the plant is small, you may want to try terrarium cultivation. If it is too big and not in a hanging pot, you might want to try placing a heat mat under the pot over the winter. Or grow it in a warm room. Good luck!

EDIT: you profile lists your location as being Mars, so that could be a problem. Unless you manage to terraform the planet ASAP, terrarium cultivation is the way to go.

Chris

Chris Roy
    Eastern Massachusetts, United States

I have only made this letter rather long because I have not had time to make it shorter. - Blaise Pascal