What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other Tropicals

I know so very little about plants, and I'm trying to build my collection. I'd like to know what other types of really neat tropicals there are out there that could help fill my tropical terrarium with my sundews and VFT's. If anyone has a favorite, I'd love to know what they are and what they look like! Thanks!

http://www.blackjungle.com/home.htm

This website has lots of small tropical plants that you can put inside of a CP terrarium.

I would go for something that doesn't grow too big or too fast. Plants like the minuature orchids or tillandsia will do well.

I personally recommend getting a Dischidia plant, since they won't grow too quickly, and they look really cool.

Jœl

That plant looks cool, thanks for the link! The jewel orchids look really neat too. I'd get both, except they don't ship to canada.
sad.gif

Boy, sometimes it doesn't pay to live here!
mad.gif

There's also this plant called a "cork screw" cronos. It is so beautiful and the leaves twist as they get older. They also turn magnificent colors with the more light they get. Reds, oranges, yellows, greens, and they're speckled. I'd show you a picture of mine if I had a digital camera. I'm sure they have them at your local grocery store. They are really common and easy to grow and CHEAP! They have lots of different varieties. I jsut like the cork screw because they twist.

Unfortunately our local grocery store doesn't label them, so even if they did have it I probably wouldn't know it! Sounds like a neat plant though. I got a bigger tank and have so far added a coffee plant and another one, although I don't know what it is. Maybe I'll phone the garden center... thanks!
biggrin.gif

In my 55 gal tank I have the following:

coffee plant (doing well so far, but does need fertilized)
parsley arial (does real well)
china doll (doing well)
pink polka dot (gets to leggy, needs higher light level)
pothos (not found of this)
spider (doing well)
bromaliads (does great)
air plant (does great)
goldfish plant (does great)
grape ivy (just started cuttings, too soon to tell)
chameleon (this came from my backyard where it is a thug, I have it in an undrained pot, the lizzard loves it)

The polka dot and pothos will be coming out in the next month. Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks Linda, that's a nice list, and it gives me some good ideas too!
smile.gif

Back