What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightmarish flower!

I was at the local college arboretum and came across this wicked looking flower.  It was growing on a large tree.  The petals are thick and waxy.  The flower is formed in a way that rainwater will collect inside.  Not sure if this serves any purpose.  Perhaps its the ellusive carnivorous flower  
wink.gif
 Anybody know what it is?

Dscn2962.jpg

Dscn2965.jpg

Dscn3299.jpg

Dscn3304.jpg

In the pics below, the outer petals were removed to expose the scary hand inside
wow.gif

Dscn3343.jpg

Dscn3346.jpg

Dscn3357.jpg

I just saw it for sale yesterday. I will return to the store and get the name for you tomorrow. I almost bought it. I love this flower.

wow , interesting looking plant larry , looks like an evils persons hand trying to grab something , ithink i'll call this plant at the monent " the devils wife trying to escape from the under world "
tounge.gif

Wow...that is awsome! Never seen a flower like that before. I like the hand though. That's kinda like getting the doves out of a sand dollar.
smile.gif
I'd love to know the name. I wonder if you could dry the hand. I also wonder if the name will refer to the hand thing (like Devil's claw is named for the claw-like seed pod).

Suzanne

OPPS! Spoke to soon. A Buddah's Hand is a type of lemon.

NEVERMIND (google is sooo good)

Chiranthodendron pentadactylon, also known as devil's hand tree or monkey hand tree.
smile.gif

Chris

OOH Chris, thanks for identifying it! Now I can finally search for info on this plant
smile.gif

The last picture is kinda creepy, but it's an awesome flower. The color is simply stunning.

creepy... but way cool.

Thank you for contributing to my newest nightmare!!!
wink.gif
Cool flower, in a twisted sort of way!
alien.gif

Back