What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tropicanna plant

I live in Youngstown,Ohio and i just bought one of these plants from homedepo. it says it can live outside in the in mild winters- it then says to bring inside during the winter?? hmm i need to know if it would survive the winter if i let it outside in the ground and cut it back and applied mulch.... it says zones 8-10 - which i think i'm 6 or 7? makes me wonder about the other canna's plants i just bought from columbus- green one and a midnight one. now i did see some planted in a yard near my house and there is alot of them and it doesn't look like they dig them up and bring them inside in the winter? one thing with columbus since they are growing everywhere the weather there is alot warmer then here and mild winters. anyyone have any thoughts for me?? thanks

Hi

I don't know too much about canna but I do know they are grown here in Virginia (zone 7). I see them all the time planted in yards and in the medians on some streets so they must be able to survive pretty cold temps (it can get as low as single digits here sometimes). I know no one is digging the median ones up and replanting them.

You might get more response in the Miscellaneous Plants forum so I will move this topic over there.

*POOF*

Suzanne

Moved!

alright thanks- it should be fine then and i have mulch around it so that will help anyhow.

i grow cannas but i'm not and expert at them , the rarest one i probabaly have is one anthocyanin one that started to grow in the middle of all my purple ones . i don't know anyone digging them up in the winter but i have seen there rhizomes for sale in winter in small bags with dry saw dust . i'd say that you don't have to bring them in for winter because i have seen them handle the most extreme weather and they survive quite well . they are subtropical and should be water more during bloom , and like to be fertilized . i also have seen them grown in very dry soil to waterlogged or underwater conditions . i have one specimen that is taller then 6 feet so good luck .

Back