What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery seed from haiti!

Here's a real quiz for you plant freaks out there...

I just received a large shipment of seashells from Haiti and in the bag was this object that clearly was not a seashell. At first I thought I had a round flat stone but it was too light for a rock as I looked it over I noticed it has an indentation just like a seed and the shell is very hard and to germinate will likely need to be scarred.

Here's the seed:
mysteryseed-haiti.jpg

the seed is about 6 cm in diameter and weighs about 1-1.5 ounces. It is not totally round but flattened like a pebble and only 1.5 cm thick. The image below shows the thickness and the pink aperture:
mysteryseed-haiti2.jpg

What family of plant could this belong to? I'm not looking for species specific names as that could proove impossible. Any germination suggestions?

looks like a sea bean (pea family). Entada gigas. from the west Indies so warm & sunny!!

wel , you can try to germinate it to figure out what it is . other wise you can just keep guessing or ask whoever sent you those seashells if they have soke plant that is making seeds .

Back