Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly ducklings

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great new forum! I will be visiting the subject often.

Now, the topic--I know we'd love to say all plants are incredibly beautiful jewels, but many of us grow a plant that is just plain ugly. I have nothing against ugly plants--they are just a fun-for-me topic to discuss.

Obviously, dead plants are the least beautiful. What I mean is healthy and well-grown plants that look their best, which is bad.

My ugliest plant is called Pilea 'Purple Waffle'. It has a permanently crinkled, "waffled", dead appearance. I checked and am pretty certain it is alive, but you never know...

Calling all plant growers: what are your ugliest plants?

Chris

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I guess my ugliest plant at the moment is my night-blooming cereus. Its a tall, gangly not-too-pretty plant. They look kinda like a VERY large christmas cactus but because of their height they tend to be floppy and need support. It was about 3-feet tall and its now putting up new "spikes" that will develope the fleshy, succulent leaves--the new spikes are almost 3-feet tall already and still growing! The flowers are supposed to be spectacular (mine hasn't bloomed yet but I hope it does this year). Their opening is an "event"...they bloom around 10 p.m. at night for just a few hours but are supposed have a heavenly scent. I'm really crossing my fingers for a flower (hopefully many) this summer. :-) If I get some, I will definitely be photographing it.

Suzanne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DE,
    If its so ugly, why do you grow it? Does it look ugly but have nice flowers like suzanne's plant?

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry, that's a good question! :-) It hasn't displayed any positive aspects yet, but if it flowers, it may be redeemed, but I don't know if even the flowers are attractive. We will see! I still think it looks interesting, though not beautiful, just worthy of being grown.

Suzanne, I'm on the lookout for one of those plants. And I used to think all cacti and succulents were boring! :shocked:

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ugliest plant I ever had was also a cactus, but it went in the other direction from PAK's, it was a motlly collection of round wrinkled brown/ black lumps about 3/4" in diameter, I am still suspisious that it tries to look like an animal dropping to keep things from eating it. A lot of the desert cacti and succulents seem too have a great potential for "UGLY", which, of course, makes them very cool!

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realy don't have any plants that I consider ugly but I have 1 plant, a Purple Passion, and when it blooms it's the rottenest smell! It had me searching all over thinking a diaper didn't make it to the trash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    greencrunch, you may be right, as there is actually a type of caterpillar that has evolved to look like a bird dropping so that birds won't eat it! lol, kinda makes you realize that God has a sense of humor, doesn't it? [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are also tropical spiders that do the same thing, one even makes a white web "splat" mark around the chunky dark spider in the middle, VERY convincing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast