What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pics pics pics!

Hello all

The infloresence of one of my gingers opened up a few days ago, and I just had to post a pic. I've waited a year for this, and I have to say that I'm happy with the results!
smile.gif

so anyway here are the 2 pics.

lo_violet_ginger1.jpg

lo_violet_ginger_inf1.jpg

You can see some of my other plants in the background, including a N rafflesiana, an N gracilis 'nigrapurpurea', a few strawberry plants (my dad bought them for some reason
confused.gif
), and a guava tree in the back.

Hope you like!!
smile.gif

Joel

Nice, I grow a few different types of ginger. I haven't actually ever tried to eat any though.

Thanks Dyflam!
smile.gif
I think that we're the only ppl around here that really appretiate the awesomeness of gingers! (
tounge.gif
to everyone else!
wink.gif
)

I also have a huge Alpinia purprata plant (red ginger)  in the back, and I bought a Nicolaia elator plant (torch ginger) last friday. I know that most ornamental gingers aren't edible, so don't be too anxious to try them out!
smile.gif

Joel

Beautiful flower! I know what it means when you wait and wait for something and it finally happens. Its exciting. I'm waiting now on paph bud...its first bloom. Can't wait to see it.

You have a BUNCH of nice plants, Joel.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne! I forgot to mention this b4, but I have another pot with the same gingers, and one of the plants there is also starting to throw out a infloresence!!! I'm so happy!
biggrin.gif

Joel

You guys wouldn't believe how much ginger there is in my diet! We had a 6' tall one in the front yard but my mom cut it down and made it into dinner for a month or so. Good with green onions on chicken...or with hot pepper flakes on beef...

I have some guava seedlings... I tried ginger, and nothing ever happened. So,
POOF
sad.gif

Yah Joel. Nice plants. Hehe... The purple nublettes at the base of the inflorecence? Do they contain differnt sex parts?

Actually greg, the white and purple things at the base of the inflorescence are the true flowers of the plant.

Joel

Oh. He... he...
sad.gif

tounge.gif

So. What is the thing at the top? A giant flag for bees?

mindmaze128,

My girlfriend had the same ginger species bought from Home Depot. It brought w/ it a ton of gnats, and died shortly. (It appears that most of the plants purchased from that store had problems.)

Anyway, we returned the pot as it was covered by the 1 yr guarantee. I thought it was funny that when the clerk opened up the bag, gnats flew out even tho the plant had been dead for at least a month. I still have the gnat infestation in my house from it.

The plant was in bloom when she bought it.

Back