What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bamboo propagation

would it be possible to cut the top part of a regular bamboo(not lucky bamboo) and grow it? do roots grow from the cut part?

Not normally. I have heard that if you lay the bamboo down, roots will sprout at the "rings". I have not tried it though. keep in mind that bamboo is considered to be a grass.

We accidentally tried it with Gigantia.

We built a retaining wall of approx 2'-3' cut sections to hold a small mound back, MOST OF THEM SPROUTED.

We were not trying to make new Giants and had to quickly remove them to evoid having way too much Bamboo.

I'd say its easy, at least here any way.

Ghrey

can they be grown inside in a pot? because form what ive heard, they grow like a weed and may damage the foundation of houses. im not too worried about my house, but im worried about my neighbor's...(though i dont like them too much, as they have a FILLED POND with running water, even with all the mosquitos and the west nile virus thing going on...)

Ok try to bare with my spelling. We have a Buda's Belly bamboo in a 30" pot on our back patio. It has been about 20yrs or so in that local so I would say; You can Probably grow Bamboo in pots.

Whether or not they are invasive depends on the species. Some species, such as the black bamboo Phyllostachys nigra form quite small clumps and would be good for pots and should not invade your neighbour. Some other species spread very quickly and you will need a JCB to remove them after a few years! So I would recommend you do some research into the different species available.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We have a Buda's Belly bamboo[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I grow a plant with that common name--Jatropha podagrica. But it's not a bamboo...must be a diff. plant.

Chris

Does anyone have a bamboo cutting they'd be willing to trade? I'm not picky about what kind.. as long as it's bamboo (not "lucky bamboo") and is a vigorous grower
smile.gif

I have some "dwarfish" bamboo in a big pot. It used to be all around the side of my house but I exterminated it. I don't know the scientific name, but it's definietly bamboo.

Jœl

{again sorry about guest login Fickle wiireless network That I am "borrowing" with permission naturally}

The budas Belly bamBoo is the real thing, but Buda is/was popular so many plants bear the name. In this area Black bamboo is a bad idea, almost as bad as Kudsu is in the south east, but easier to eradicate. It does pot well. I Will have Gigantia sp. cuttings some time soon, be advised This Stuff Gets HUGE. I would have to ask for freight. Our Budas Belly is from a clone that is about to/is blooming so It will soon be history. No point in cutting a piece. The habbits of this massive grass are it seems as much governed by local climate as variety. But that is an impression without any imperical data for support (get the salt...)

Ghrey

jatropha podagrica is related to poinsettias and i have one too. It's losing its leaves though, don't knoewi if that's bad.

Jatropha is a genus related in the Euphorbiaccae family. Many of them are caudiciform or pachycaul succulents. The sap is posionous, so wash your hands after handling the plant. Jatropha generally goes dormant in the winter, my 1 yr old seedling has stopped growing and has dropped some older leaves.

I think you should be able to produce adventitious roots on at least some species of bamboo, maybe air layering is worth trying. You can sometimes get seed of bamboo but bamboo are monocarpic and only flower once before dying.

Andrew

I came acoss a good article on bamboo:

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph39.htm

and it offers some propogation advice:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Like most other grasses, bamboos grow and flourish until they are ready to flower; then they produce seeds and die. Because bamboos flower so infrequently, they are usually propagated vegetatively. Running bamboos are usually propagated by cuttings of the rhizome, with some buds and culms attached. Clumping bamboos can be propagated by taking a piece of a culm with at least one node and planting it in damp soil. The cut stem will develop roots at the node and produce new rhizomes and culms. Therefore, most varieties of bamboos in cultivation are clones derived from a single plant that may be traced back to one seed. This may explain why some cultivated bamboos have the same flowering cycle and mortality as populations on a different continents.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Andrew

Jatropha podagrica:
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Jatropha generally goes dormant in the winter,[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Thanks, that would explain why mine's leaves have been dying back.
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The sap is posionous[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Oh ... OK. Guess I shouldn't have tried tasting it, then.
sad.gif

ERRATA:  I have NO idea where I got "Gigantia" I must have been tired or even asleep.  

The correct variety is: Bambusa oldhamii

Sorry for the error.

It is a very large Bamboo how ever.

Back