What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need to know a plant that grows VERY fast

im thinking about building a little cage for my crickets (food for a leopard gecko), since the one i have is to small. for their food source, im looking for a plant that is safe enough to eat, and grows REALLY fast. theres gonna be about 100 crickets, and they eat a LOT. are there any common weeds that i could use? or vegetables?

If only They would eat Kudsu.

You could try toumble weed But I doubt it would work.

you could Try (keep a streight face) Dry Dog food.

Or call a cricket farm and see how they keep them fed.

(yah I wish I could spell too)

Ghrey

i thought about feeding them dog food (since i have a dog) but the lizard im feeding the crickets too may not tolerate the contents of the dog food, and maybe get sick/die. anyone know if they can eat differnt kinds of vine? all three of my surrounding neighbors have vines right next to their fence, so it always grows over to our side. i have to cut them down almost every week, so could i feed that to the crickets?

I'll be interested in answers you get to this. I feed my crickets orange slice, potato slices, lettuce (which may be a good plant to grow). Actually, lettuce might be a good answer. It can be grown hydroponically. Use a container deep enough to hold a sponge. Dig hole in the sponge to place the seed and keep wet. The crickets will like the young sprouts, should be able to walk on the sponge without drowning, and get water from the sponge too.

hmmmmm, I may try this myself.
biggrin.gif
Good luck

I didn't think hydroponics involved just water...

Well thats true----hmmmmmm

Although if its a food source for the crickets, and they like the tender sprouts I'd bet you could avoid the fertilzers. An airstone for water movement would be a good idea,that would mean deeper water is needed and would a water logged sponge float? Not sure. A piece of styrophom would, cut to fit the container firm so the crickets don't get under into the water (they can't swim from what I've seen).drill holes just big enough for the seed. I still think it is a doable experiment--to bad my kids don't have the science fair anymore, oh well its just a thought
biggrin.gif

Back