What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Birds of paradise...

i have finally found someone who can get me a blue and orange birds of paradise that is already established (so i don't have to grow from seed). it should be here about friday, but now i have questions...

anyone have any more care instructions for this plant? all i ever saw was "frequent and heavy feedings...". how about light, temp, and water type (ro/distilled/tap)?

does anyone have any tips or tricks for me? how about just general care info?

Arie (if you see this), i know that you have one, would you share your expertice, please?

thanks!
technoracer
now awaiting the arrival of 13 new plants...

Give me the species name. Both the nitida and regia grow here. Every tenth house has one. Do you plan on growing it indoors? It's really an ourdoor plant. Strelitizia is the genus, isn't it? IIRC they come from South Africa, and can stand light frosts, especially the nitida.

trest them like bananas , lots of sun , theres no need for fertilizer unless you want to , it does not nee r/o water , if you plant it in the pot then it will out grow , it clupms easily , does not like wind , the temp depends on where you live , as long as it does'nt get too clod .

well, i finally picked up my plant! it's about 3' tall, has 3 growing points and is potted in a 10" pot.

any ideas of an age? is it true that these can grow to be 30' tall? if so, i'm gonna have to find another home for it, eventually, as i have 9' celings.

yes, i plan on growing it indoors, as i live in ohio and the snow and temps we are having right now would surely kill it.

any other thoughts?

peace,
technoracer

My Strelitzia Reginae (blue and orange) were doing pretty well wintering in my garage..then we got a warm spell and I put them on my covered porch. Fine till we got a cold snap...now they do not look so hot. I think I've lost several shoots but hopefully not the entire plants. I was told feed heavily and feed often however I wonder if perhaps the last time maybe I overfed them and burned them.?? I do think it was the cold that damaged them though. They're staying back in the garage till I'm sure Spring is here. Hopefully they will perk up again. Mine are 2 1/2 to 3 ft. tall also and I too was wondering about the age and when they will flower.

try doing a google search for "Strelitzia Reginae". i did that last night and got a bunch of links. the problrm is, the info on those links varies as to care, age till they flower, etc... i'm undecided, but i think i will put this plant (supposedly a Reginae, also) out side on my back porch. it'll get a few hours of direct sun in the morning, and a few more in the late afternoon (the porch is covered). in the winter, though, it'll have to come back inside, as winters here will surely kill this plant!

peace,
technoracer

Mmm, don't have time to check on the names since I'm busy packing for a business trip, but here's what I can tell you from my experience:

The giant ones are usually purplish-black and beige flowers from what I've seen, and they DO grow to 30ft tall! I haven't seen a purple orange one of that size. Besides, I doubt you'd have a giant one, you'd know it
wink.gif

I have the regular purple and orange ones all over my backyard. I live in southern california, and they can handle at least a week of high winds (50mph gusts) and a couple weeks of frost. They can handle as much sun as you can give them - we have summers that are often 100+ degrees, and definetly no fertilizer needed. Ours have been growing in sandy soil with a bit of topsoil mixed in for the last 15 years. Hose water to boot. Temps here year round are 50-100F.

About the roots - the roots go VERY deep. I tried to dig some up for Larry a few months back and couldn't even get a little 3' high clump out of the ground. I guess you'd want a nice deep pot for it. They seem to flower year round here, but I'm not sure if that's because of temp conditions.

Hope that give ya some insight.
biggrin.gif

Lol, uh, yeah. Guess B.O.P's can't grow without roots
wink.gif

They are wilty and near death. I don't forsee a positive outsome
confused.gif

I have heard that to make them bloom in the summer, they would like 10 C for their dormancy in winter time.

technoracer
I have few plants typical and giant
they all grow in my garden in the ground or in huge pots
soil = normal garden soil with extra compost
light = full sun
water = normal tap water
temp = our normal temp are at summer up to 45 C
at winter minimal 4 C but survive at 0 C too
flowers mainly on spring and summer but I have them flower throw winter too.
you can e-mail me if you have any more things you like to ask
Arie

Back