What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water hyacinth

• Thread starter eplants02
  • Start date
Hey all,
I'm planning to get some these plants? Living in NJ, what are the growing conditions for this guy? What should I know about this plant?

put them into a container of water and stand back they grow fast. if you keep them crushed up together they will flower alot more. the flowers only last a day or so. if you put them into soil the leaves get bigger than usual but the only problem with tha is you will be replanting them really soon. hey do grow fast. the flowers they put out are really pretty. w/ you living in N.J. they might go dorment during the winter due to how cold it gets there. so be prepaired to have tones of them. i threw them away here and there because they grow so fast and multiply w/ no problem. there has been times i have left them w/ very little water and just added some tapwater and they took right off again.

Can I bring them inside during the winter? -OR- Just them or leave them outside in the pond?

i can't see why you can't bring them in during the winter if you wanted to. i always left them outside but, it doesn't get below 35 here. i have stopped at a couple of nurceries in N.C. that has them growing in a side pond and they keep them outside all the time and the ones they have are pretty big due to they have rooted into the ground. so if ya want to keep them outside go ahead just keep and eye on the pond so they don't get frozen with the water.

George-cp,
I have 11 cod fish in the pond. Will they control the rapid spreading of the plants?

eplants02, they might eat the roots but not the plant itself.i have some koi,commet and blue gill in the pond and with one large plant it took over a 12' pond that i dug w/ in 6 months. to tell you a little bit more about the plant. it was found in south america back in the early 1800's by a man from New Orleans. he brought the plant back w/ him and grew it there to study the plant. then in the late 1800's it was brought to florida from there. here in florida it is consided a week and it has to be sprayed w/ a cemical to control it. there is a bug that is only known in south america that eats the plants and controls it. the bug is not found here in the u.s. the plant how ever does have some good points beside having a pretty flower. the roots when flooting around does filter out the water and helps it to stay clear. what it acctual filters out i do not know. disney world does use this plant in its water system to filter its water out.

Water hyacinths die in the winter in nj because its 2 cold there . Why do you think there selling on e bay for 30 cents for a whole box its because there dead as soon as the cold comes .Thats why FL and all the warm states were they can live in the wild you cant have them by law because they can live all year round and take over a body of water in no time at all.

Theres no way of keeping them alive in doors with out high power MH lights .

A good site to go to is the pond fourm at GW . Last time I was there there were alot of ppl talking about hyacinths.

Here in AZ I grow them in my 7 by 7 foot pond . In the winter we get down to 28f on the coldest nights and I lose around 99% of them . Just one plant I had this spring from last summer and it took over my pond in no time at all .

GEORGE-CP- If you have them and your in fl make sure you keep them away from a large body of water its called a Noxious weed some lady got a 20,000 fine for owning them in fl .There illegal there. Don't tell anyone else you have them.

Each individual plant of a prohibited species constitutes a separate violation. The law applies to everyone: aquatic plant producers and distributors, garden centers, pond supply stores, pet stores, and individual pondkeepers. So if Joe Ponder is caught with 10 water hyacinth in his backyard pond, that would be 10 separate violations, with potential fines totalling $20,000.

Water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) is one of the worst weeds in the world--aquatic or terrestrial. Until only a few years ago, this floating plant was a major problem in Florida (as it still is in many places throughout the world) covering as many as 125,000 acres of water: boat traffic on several rivers was halted; hundreds of lakes and ponds were covered from shore to shore with up to 200 tons of hyacinths per acre!

Heres a site I found .

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/46.html

George-CP,
Thanks for the info. I appreciate this very much.

Well I can see both of you ignored everything I just said and have not been reading up on this plant so

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
ok teach his own
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

By the way eplants02 have fun trying to keep them alive there in the winter time lol
wink.gif
Id like to see you get them to come back lol

And GEORGE-CP dont say I did not warm yea  
tounge.gif

wow.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif

Thank u, west871.
I'm probably going to bring the plants in.

Everyone Iv talked to says they cant go inside they turn into mush because of the lack of light and heat in the water.

The only real way to keep the plant alive is to heat the water and use a high power MH light .

Last year I put them in my green house and they still all died in my green house .

Well anyways good luck! You will need it
smile.gif

what? Can't u plant them.

Anyway, George-CP or west871, I have a 2 ft diameter pond? How many plants would u suggest to order? Thanks.
biggrin.gif

1 maybe 2 plants and then stand back cause it will grow like a weed

2 feet is small . For a pond that size I would start off with 1 . thats what I started with in mine. You got to rember they take over like crazy in the warm months. From just this summer starting with one plant I have them all over in my 2 temp ponds in my green house and my 7 by 7 foot pond there so thick in there I had to put some in the trash because my other water plants would have been killed.

I think if you do plant them they have to be wet all the time. Like in a 1 gal pot placed in water . Im not sure but I think they have to have there roots wet at all times and yo would still have to heat the roots just like a coconut palm the roots have to be warm all the time..

_-West-_

If you had your mine set on 10 then why did you ask us?

If you want 10 go for it but You will just be putting your money in the trash . Do you have any clue how they look in the winter once they go to sleep .Even if you can over winter them Most of the plant becomes a mush and is all slim the only part that lives is a small green base .In the spring you pull off the slim and mush and you see a very small plant the size of a dime .Thats what the plant comes back from .

The order was cancel due to dormancy.

Hi eplants02 ,

Dont cancel it due to me.

I just think your getting the wrong picture and think they will stay nice all year. They dont.

If you really want to try . Ill send you some .I sell plants on the web all the time so I can take Palpal it would only be shipping cost + the 50 cents that paypal charges me to use there system .

So Let me know.

biggrin.gif

_-West-_

west871,
I'm not blaming on you, the store had to cancel the order was the plant was dorment or something like that.

Back