What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know much about...

Hi folks...

I have this cactus that I have had for years.  I have no idea what kind it is, just your typical cactus.  Well, a few weeks ago I realized the roots were coming out from the bottom of the pot, so I repotted it.  Well, let me tell you... I have 16 new arms growing off this plant!  I was wondering if there is a way of stabilizing the plant since it seems to be top heavy, and it seems to sway back and forth in the pot, so how would I anchor it down?  I know with orchids and other plants a stake is used, but would that work on a cactus?

Does anyone know anything about removing an arm and replanting it?  (I am taking about cacti still, not body parts)

Hi Megan

Just cut the "arms" off where they join to the mother plant.
Let them sit for a couple of days so that the point where they were cut has a chance to dry out. You may want to dust it with some fungicide (powder is better than a liquid spray for cacti).

Then plant the arm and it will probably grow. Again you can use a rooting hormone if you want but they aren't that hard to grow.

Cheers, Troy.

Thanx Troy.

What about stabalizing? Do you have any suggestions? I would hate to see the plant topple over!

Not sure if an orchid stake would work...no...

What you may want to try is making the base of the plant/pot area heavier--to lower the center of gravity. Next time you repot the plant, you'll want to include heavy materials in the mix like lava rock, gravel, grits. And use a clay pot--they're heavier than plastic.

Until then, avoid placing the plant in a windy/breezy area/window. And you may want to place clean stones on the soil surface, which can be removed and then replaced when you water the plant.

Chris

Hmmm, have done all that already. I guess I need to keep my fingers crossed that it stays put.
sad.gif

Thanx anyway!

Back