Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird of Paradise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive had one of these for about 4 years now. I rescued it from my local garden centre for an amazing cheap price (same as a can of pop!!!) The plant is now growing strongly and is about 1.5 feet tall. Any ideas how long this will take to flower? I know seeds can take 10 years before the plant is old enough but this was from a young division. I'm hoping for flowers pretty soon!!! (well next winter anyway!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This plant is supposed to flower and grow better when it's crowded. My plants don't seem to flower when I repot and give extra room.

I got my plant about 4-5 years ago and it was about 2-3' tall, had 3 growth points in a 1gallon pot for &#363. The plant company I got this from puts a grade for quality of the plant, and this was the lowest grade. When I brought it home I potted them up into a 5 gallon pot, and didn't get blooms the next winter. The first year it flowered it had over 10 flowers. Now it's divided into 3 pots with 3-5 growth points in each pot, they multiply fast for me. I repotted that summer and didn't get flowers that winter since it wasn't crowded anymore. This year is the first time i've seen flowers in 2 years and I have 2 flowers right now. Here are photos:
    [img]http://home.**********.com/statik2426/BOP.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://home.**********.com/statik2426/BOP2.jpg[/img]

Sometimes the plant flowers again off the old stem if you leave it on, like a Phalaenopsis orchid. But like the phal orchid the flower is smaller thne the last. How big was it when you got it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing!!!!
    My plant was about 8" tall when I got it. I don't think it was a seedling as it was quite thick and they had had some large mature plants in a month or so before. I think it was probably a division off a plant they had wich wasn't doing too well. I got it home and found that it didn't have any roots! I potted it up and it did fine. Its now in a 10 inch pot and there are huge roots about 2 inches thick growing through the drainage holes and cracking the bottom of the pot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like it's doing great now! Maybe you have a miniature form or something (if they exist). I have seen plants about 2ft tall that have flowers at the garden centers.

Good Luck with your plant!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's kind of funny when they display plants with the fake flowers in them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be a dwarf form as the plants they had earlier where about 2 1/2 feet tall. I'm hoping its going to be the large form though!

Dyflam, I tell you what I can't stand are those cacti with fake eyes stuck on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would LOVE the juncea form (no leaf blades). tried growing from seed, no joy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they sell S. Juncea in a nursery about an hour away from where i live. The nursery is Burford cottage nursery and there is a section called Mulu that sells tropical plants, palms etc. They had young plants for about 12 I think. I can have a look for you next time i am there if you like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast