What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A type of tree that needs to be id

theres is a type of tree that I have been curious for months and still i have not found the name . well today I went to knotts berry farm I found a million of them and some other plants I have unexpectedly see , i saw a live forever cactus with a huge flower stalk and a new plant called the orchid tree witch i will soon purchase but about the plant i was curios about . the description is the trunks has thorns , the flowers are pink , the seed pod looks likea huge acorn with powdery seeds , the trees are about 25 feet tall , its seems they live in dry soil , and the tree is green . sooner or lady i found the name of the plant labeled on one of the trees which said "mexican palo verde " so i reserched it and found out that still the plant looked much different because the tree i found on the internet has yellow flwoers and has a shorter trunk . please help me id this tree because i want to plant it at my house .

sounds like a silk cotton tree or a relative of that.

sorry , that is not the tree at all , it has to be ore smaller , greener , and no buttress roots .but when it makes seeds it has a thing that looks like a cacoon and it seems to be filled with cotton so you were kinda close .

actually , you maybe are right , actually you are , my search engine sucks so it does not show good pics .

Hey goldtrap,

carcinos is pretty close. This is probably it, the pink version. http://www.cuyamaca.net/oh170/Thumbnail_Pages/Chorisia_speciosa.asp

It grows very well in our area, I have a neighbor down the street who has one on his front lawn. I bet the squirrels stay away
smile.gif

I found the name already but thanks , i never heard of chorisia speciosa but I do know ceiba speciosa .

Back