User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: harvesting seed from Anthurium scandens berries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Anthurium scandens is a neat epiphyte that flowers constantly with waxy purple spadix and thin white spathe after a month or so the inflorescences swell and begin to create clumps of large pearly berries. It seems to take a long time before the berries are ripened.

The first set of berries is finally ripe (the peduncle started to wither and the berries are very firm) and I've opened a couple berries to see minute white seeds. Most seed I've ever seen are black. However, the seed I received of Dracunculus vulgaris was white and also was another Aroid plant.

I've sown a few of those dug out white seeds in the sphagnum of a few nep pots but ony just recently-no signs of life yet. Are berries supposed to be buried intact with the seeds inside the "goo"? Do I need to let the cut off berry set dry before dissecting and getting the seeds?

Thanks for any thoughts! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you know if the berries are eaten by animals in the wild?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is cool.I have a a.scandens in one of my dartfrog tanks that has been in there for about 1 year and I haven't noticed any flowers or anthing.It grows very well and the roots make the tank look cool.Mine I bought as a cutting from Black Jungle terrarium supply.
    Mark W.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mark,

That's where I got mine from too (black jungle)! I have mine mounted in a "hydrolog" which is like a block of florist foam attached to a wire frame and covered in long fibered sphagnum moss. I must admit that I'm not very attendent to this plant, it rarely gets any fertilizer and only a good watering every couple weeks otherwise it just gets sprayed every few days when I spray all the plants. Seems to be just what this plant likes! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (machete @ Jan. 08 2004,07:55)]do you know if the berries are eaten by animals in the wild?
    why, no machete, I am not aware of this.

Oh, ok, because I read somewhere that some seeds need to
    be digested before they can germinate, I guess guano is a pretty good fertilizer also. Nice talking to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know about natural seed dispersal of A. scandens so I didn't say nuthin'. Hope you don't feel too slighted!

I have noticed just today that the test seeds I planted in my N. clipeata pot have sprouted roughly 3 weeks later. The clipeata grows in 50/50 LFS and orchid bark with a bit of charcoal just to keep everything fresh. Since I haven't sown any in plain new soil yet, I don't know if there is a benefitial fungus in the nep pot which may have assisted germination or they are simply easily germinating seeds. I am NOT good with seeds (at least not any I've received through the mail) but perhaps freshness has something to do with viability. Everyone always claims to sell "fresh" seed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im bad with seeds too
    that makes no logic